SEVEN

WHEN Val Prince was born, she was nearly positive that the fates had screamed, cried, or something else along those lines. At least, that's how it felt with the track her life had been on for the last sixteen years. But when Octavian was born... the girl couldn't be certain, but she was pretty sure that one of the fates went and killed herself, thus throwing off any balance and control they had over the augur's life and therefore allowing him the freedom to become the absolute weasel that he was.

Jason Grace had despised the augur as well; Octavian with his faux advice and his faux visions and his creepy eyes that always seemed to linger. But Jason was far more professional than Val could ever hope to be, far better at biting his tongue and looking the other way as if the boy wasn't even speaking. Though Val figured it was much easier to ignore the augur when you were the praetor.

Val was not the praetor, and Octavian loved it. He loved that he had helped snub her of the honor, that he was able to oh so loyally remind the senate and the rest of camp that 'there can never be two girls as a praetor at the same time!'. As if, you know, this wasn't the modern century.

Then Camp Jupiter went to war with the Titans, and then Jason was raised on a shield. And how in Hades was Val supposed to actually be mad about it?

Val would like to note that she had a very long list of reasons why she should actually be mad about it.

But she sucked it up because it was for her camp, her home. If Val had to stay on the sidelines in order for Camp Jupiter to thrive, then so be it. Because that was how she was raised: you do anything for the gods.

Okay, maybe she wasn't always good at sucking it up. That much was clear as she stomped down the side of Temple Hill.

Percy may not actually know Val or Hazel, but he was surprised to see how angry the two of them were after leaving the temple. Both seemed to be cursing in Latin, and while Percy didn't understand it all, he got 'son of a gorgon' and 'power hungry snake' from Hazel, and from Val a few impressive choice suggestions for where Octavian should stick his knives.

"He won't really get elected praetor, will he?" Percy asked after Val laid yet another threat against the augur's life.

"I wish I could be certain." Hazel shook her head, "Octavian has a lot of friends, most of them bought. The rest of the campers are afraid of him."

"Afraid of that skinny little guy?"

"Unfortunately, that skinny little douchebag has a hell of a lot more pull around here than he should." Val shook her head. "Don't underestimate him."

Percy quirked an eyebrow. "You literally just threatened his life."

"Yeah, and I'd do it again."

"She does it more than you'd think." Hazel said, her eyes shining slightly with amusement and Percy wasn't sure whether or not to laugh. "But Val's right. You shouldn't underestimate Octavian. Reyna's not so bad by herself, but if he shared her power..." She shuddered like she was shaking away the bad thoughts, but Percy got the idea.

It would be really, really bad.

"Let's go see my brother. He'll want to meet you."

Percy didn't argue, not that he was really given the chance. Plus, he was half interested in meeting the mysterious brother - Hazel already seemed to nice, surely her brother would be another welcoming presence at camp.

Honestly, Val would have felt bad about bursting his bubble.

Hazel led the two down to the black crypt built into the side of the building, and while Val figured Octavian wasn't lying about the boys sudden appearance at camp, she was still half surprised to see Nico standing there in his aviator jacket.