vi. a regent

The walk back to the castle was horrible. People were running in all directions, falling down the stairs, some gave up and just sat on the stone paths, slowly bleeding to death. Some knights thankfully took control of the situation and started to direct the crowd. They guided the maesters to the most injured and would help others to get home safely. They would guard the streets, monitoring so that nobody was in too much distress. Halfway to Red Keep a loud roar could be heard throughout the city and then the red dragon appeared in the sky. Thankfully on its way out of there.

The closer she was to her home the more she could feel her legs shaking, she could not wait to be inside a safe structure again. When she finally arrived, her illusion was shattered because the servants' kitchen was full of injured people, some strained moans and whines could be heard from personal chambers. Kiyara ran to check on her room but there was nobody there. The girl could not feel her heart anymore. All she felt was an imposing weight on her shoulders.

'Kiyara!' It was Darla's voice. Kiyara turned around quickly and ran towards her dear friend.
'What happened to you?' the black-haired girl had her right forearm bandaged in a bloody cloth.
'My hand got stuck under a piece of a boulder. Thank the Seven, if not for them I would have lost my arm. A man helped me by lifting the rock but I still cut my arm pretty deep while trying to pull it out. It does not hurt much, do not worry. Are you alright yourself?' Darla spun the girl around, checking for any bleeding. Kiyara was not bleeding, she was just very dirty.

'Where is Elle?' the look her friend gave the maid made her blood run cold. Darla silently led her the other way from their chambers. The two girls walked into a room which was reserved for just one person. On the spacious, clean bed was laying Miriam with her torso covered with red soaking bandages, her legs were barely covered by some rag. Her face looked sickly green, her eyes shut, if not for her chest going up and down some might have thought she was dead. Her whole body was grey from dust, it was also covered by cuts and bruises. Next to the bed sat Elle, crying her eyes out. Kiyara noticed how tenderly she held the older's hand.

'Oh, no.' tears ran down the whore's cheeks. She knelt next to her friend, her other friend followed suit. They all hugged each other around their shoulders, slowly rocking back and forth, crying silently.
'My dear Kiyara, are you well?'
'Yes, Elle.'
'That is good.' A pregnant pause followed. 'Miriam found me when I lost you in the crowd. Then the beast appeared. She flew. It was like she was catapulted. I could see her ribs. They-y were sticking out. I can still see them.' And it was true, something really was poking out of their boss's side. Kiyara felt the need to vomit. She was exposed to many things, living in a pleasure house, but this was too bloody.

'The maester said she will be dead before sunset.' Kiyara turned her head in shock, she tried to make Elle look at her but it was almost like the girl was in trance, she did not move her gaze away from the older woman. The youngest girl then turned to Darla, who just shrugged her shoulders. There was nothing they could do. Kiyara was taken aback by Elle's affection towards Miriam, it was not unknown that they did not have much in common, Elle made Miriam's blood boil with her frequent bickering and loud laugh. But it was true that the redhead was working here the longest with Miriam.

'Ki-K-i...' the old woman choked on her blood trying to call out to her coworker. All three of the girls were quickly on their legs, they were ready to do anything for her. Kiyara scooched over so that her face was in front of the face of the dying woman, Miriam could see her clearly now without turning her head.
'I am here, Miriam.'
'B-be car-careful.' Those were her last words before the woman started to choke on her own blood. The girl staggered back, her girlfriends caught her, none of them but dared to come closer to the bed. There was nothing else to do than to watch this cruel death. Her eyes were opened but without that special light, there was blood oozing down her chin. Kiyara would never forget this sight. Stranger came for her friend. Who's next?