viii. a kinslayer

The next day the girl was woken up by the strange man from the night prior. He gave her new clothes - he didn't even turn around for her to dress in private - and escorted her back to the Red Keep. No words were said between them.

Kiyara hadn't seen Aemond for about two weeks and when she finally had, she wished she hadn't. People were whispering about the tense situation that was unfolding throughout the Kingdoms, noble houses were showing their distaste for Aegon's coronation. It made sense why the secondborn prince was away, he was the King's brother and had his duty to restore order.

The day was sunlit and the capitol was bursting with life. Then a huge shadow appeared in the sky, a shadow so huge it covered the whole sun. Vhagar came home. The King announced a big feast as a welcome to his dear brother.

She was there in the ballroom, she was on wine duty, when Aegon, the son of Viserys, announced the news. He looked older and more serious with the crown on his head, but some things remained unchanged. Like his cups being drained by him again and again.

'My precious guests, we gathered here to welcome my brother back from his tiring journey. As you may know, my sister Princess Rhaenyra has called for support for her rightful place on the Iron throne. My brother bravely went on a journey to reassure the loyal houses of our gratitude for their continuous support. And he was more than successful! Not only did he get betrothed to a Baratheon lady, but he also proved my sister wrong,' The said hero of the day was sitting next to the rest of his royal family, but something was wrong with them. They did not smile, their shoulders were hunched forward, their gazes glued to the untouched food in front of them. Aemond may have looked the same as the weeks before, if only not for the darkest circles under his eyes.

'There is no place in this world for so-called princes with bastard blood and their usurper mother. Lucerys Velaryon has died by my brother's dragon Vhagar for his and his mother's treason,' Kiyara felt the jug slipping from her fingers. The burgundy liquid splashed all around, the droplets stained the wall, the floor and even some gowns of the guests.

But nobody seemed to care. Nobles were engaged in hushed talks about Rhaenyra's treason and the kinslaying near Shipbreaker Bay. It was known to everyone that whoever killed his kin was going to be cursed for the rest of their life. People would look at him with judging looks, they would refuse to speak to him, afraid that the curse would affect them too. Kiyara could not believe what she just heard. The same hands that caressed her skin softly now had the blood of his nephew on them. She felt sick to her stomach. The boy was just a child, he did not deserve this fate. Vhagar was a horrifying creature, everyone averted their gaze when the beast flew over their heads as if the dragon would burn them just for looking her way. She could not imagine the fear the boy felt when the enormous jaws were closing around him.

The girl ran out of the hall, nobody cared enough to stop her. She did not know where she was going, but she knew one thing for certain - she had to run away. Prince Aemond was a dangerous man. To her, he was just misunderstood and looked at too harshly, but that may be just her image of him. His actions, the blood staining his hands spoke louder than any promising words or gentle caresses.

'Kiyara!' Her dear knight came rushing to her. Aurane found Kiyara shaking and kneeling in an empty hallway. The girl did not hear him nor did she see him. Her vision darkened, her head felt like a volcano waiting to burst. She tried to get her lungs to expand, to breathe deeply, but they refused to comply.

'My dear, please, breathe. Breathe,' the man whispered. He held her tightly around her shoulders, making sure she did not fall over.

'I am here with you. You are safe.'

'I a-am scared.'

'I know,' Aurane Pyle hugged her tightly and put his cheek on the crown of her head. He could lose himself in her scent, yet he did not. She needed his support, his strong embrace. She needed to get away, and even though she did not voice that need out loud the man knew.