Chapter 1 - She's Got the Looks That Kill

During his band's opening for Ozzy Osbourne's tour at the start of 1984, bassist Nikki Sixx meets a young Melody Raewood in the audience, igniting a friendship over a drinking contest.

January 10th, 1984 - Cumberland County Civic Centre, Portland

Meanwhile, backstage...

"Boys, on behalf of Elektra Records, I just want to wish you good luck tonight," Tom Zutaut said to Mick Mars, Tommy Lee, Vince Neil and Nikki Sixx alongside their manager Doc McGee. "Well, this is your first big show and there's 18,000 people waiting, so... please, don't fuck this up."

"Thanks, Tom," Doc replied; when Tom left to find his date, he turned to the band. "Fuck all that. You guys just do what you do."

They responded with nods in agreement before walking backstage to prepare their debut. Not a moment too soon, Tommy began to vomit his guts out from the nerves.

"We're gonna die," Mick Mars pointed out, his voice not showing any signs of nerves.

"I'm okay," Tommy said and took a drink from one of the bottles of beer lying around.

"Come on. Gather 'round, guys," Nikki Sixx announced, beckoning the others to huddle around. "Look where we are; we got an old man, a kid drummer, a cover band lead singer and a fucking runaway! No one would have thought we'd make it here, so fuck them. Win it all or lose it all, we're Mötley fuckin' Crüe!"

The boys howled at the encouragement.

"So, let's destroy these motherfuckers!" Nikki shouted.

🎵

"Ladies and gentlemen!" A promoter cried out. "From Los Angeles... MÖTLEY CRÜE!"

Mötley Crüe.

Dubbed "the world's most notorious band" they ruled the Sunset Strip in the early years with their first two albums sold out, Too Fast for Love and Shout at the Devil.

Today was their first-ever show in the U.S. to promote their second album, supporting the Prince of Darkness himself along with another rock band, Ratt. Biting her lip anxiously, Melody followed some of her colleagues she spotted in the crowds (they couldn't stop talking about the concert for days) through the crowd forming in the tight venue. She wanted to squeeze through to the front of the stage when all she wanted to do was hide in the far corner closest to the exit.

The outfit girls had chosen for this event was too revealing for her liking, but it seemed like a few of the men in the venue appreciated the short skirts more than anybody else did. Unlike them, Melody had a loose black overall under her brown, tassel-sleeved jacket from the retail, adding her short backpack filled with essentials and supplies accompanied by black boots and glasses.

When the lights dimmed, Melody tried to relax, but as the crowd kept pushing closer to the stage, she felt herself being separated from reality. Panic coursed through her body and as she was ready to call it a night, loud music blared through the venue, cutting her train of thought.

"SHOUT! SHOUT! SHOUT!" They chanted at the top of their lungs.

"SHOUT AT THE DEVIL!" Vince Neil cried out into the microphone.