Chapter 7: Stealth Is Optional

Two young guards stood watching over a relatively simple security checkpoint. Above them was an arch with a scanner at the top, and to their left was a small square building containing an operator who controlled which vehicles could come in and not.

The first guard looked down at their uniform, and groaned. Hearing this, the second guard looked over and asked "What is it?"

"It's these uniforms," guard #1 answered, pulling his shirt closer so the second guard could see. "This is the ugliest shade of yellow known to man!"

"Heh, I know right? Why does Robert insist on taking control over everything, even things he has no knowledge of?"

Guard #1 quickly checked his surroundings, then whispered "Rumor has it he has trust issues."

"Really? You think he's so paranoid about working with others that he even won't let others design his army's uniforms?"

"Yep."

"Wow."

...

A couple minutes later, Matthew and Samantha appeared with a flash of orange energy behind the two guards, and and slammed their heads together, knocking them out.

The man inside the small building saw the guards get knocked out, and rushed to a terminal behind him to activate the alarms.

Before he could, I teleported behind him and swung two swords through his sides in a curving motion, causing blood to fly everywhere.

I felt myself getting ever slightly stronger, and a small sensation deep in my gut wanted more of it. It felt addicting, but I just shrugged it off as a result from adrenaline.

A couple seconds after the beautiful spray of blood, I spit out some of the blood that got in my mouth.

"Eh, I should've kept m-my mouth closed."

Steve entered the small building, holding his unbroken sword as he approached the terminal.

I immediately stepped out of the way when the sword got close, but Steve didn't seem to notice.

When Steve reached the terminal, he looked below the massive keyboard and saw a small red button. He pressed it, and in response dozens of security monitors came out of the walls and set themselves up above the keyboard.

Not even five seconds later, he pressed the button again to bring the monitors back to their original position, then after a long silence he turned around to look at me.

"I-is... is something w-wrong?"

"I... there's so few that I recognize."

"I-it has been a w-while. Y-you can't expect a l-lot of them to have s-survived this long." I walked closer to Steve.

"Yeah, but..." Before he could finish, I put my hand on his cheek and rubbed it gently as I said "Hey, at least some are still alive."

"But... I had one of the swords with me. If I just-"

"You couldn't control the swords back then. From what you told me, you could barely teleport with them."

Steve stepped back, holding back tears before saying aggressively "I'm the smartest man in the OmniVerse. I could've-"

"You're the smartest man alive in the OmniVerse now. Back then, even with your ability to learn instantly, you were still just a kid."

Steve turned away from me, pacing as he said hurriedly "Maybe if I tried finding Rob and Elizabeth. If I'd found out where they were..."