Chapter 1

Losing

     "Oh come on, I thought you said you win every time? Was that a lie?! Gasp!" A laugh ensues from a little instigator, sitting on someone's desk. Kokichi Ouma, a 16 year old high school student. Not any average student though, he went to the best school in all of Japan, Hopes Peak Academy. Only ultimates went to this school. Kokichi was the ultimate Student Council President, but he preferred to lie and say he is the uptime leader. The person he was bothering was none other than Kaito Momota, the ultimate Astronaut.
     "I'm not lying! That's your thing first of all." He puffed and crossed his arms. "I just know you're gonna cheat somehow."
     "What no! I hate liars and cheaters! I wanna play fairly with my beloved Kaito." He turned away dramatically with a 'Hmph'.
     Kaito was about to walk away. Afterall it was lunch, he was allowed to go where he wanted in the school. But Kokichi said something that just stopped him.
     "You're only scared of losing in front of everyone. Damn, what a baby." He smirked, knowing that'll get under the other's skin. Kaito was very hard headed, he would agree with almost anything as long it's a challenge.
     "What-! No that's not it!" He turned back, making eye contact with Kokichi.
     In response, he rolled his eyes. "Well obviously you are."
     "Fine! I'll play against you after school today. That's final."
     "Sounds good to me! Can't wait to see you Kai~Chan." He clasped his hands together, practically winning already.
     "But under one condition." Kaito continued. "If you lose, you have to do something for me."
     "Oh? Like a bet, what is it?"
     "Can't tell."
     "What if I win?" He kicked his legs.
     "You won't! But if you do, then I guess I'll do whatever you want."
     "Anything?"
     "Come on, don't be weird about this." He sighed.
     "Alright, well, come to the game room afterschool. I'll be waiting~!" He hopped off the desk and headed to the door. As soon as he touched the door handle, he turned back around. "I'll play with you as many times as you want. Until you either win or give up." He knew how this would play out, but he truly did want something.. so it was better to make the stakes higher for himself too. And with that he escaped the room.
     Kaito dreaded the end of the day, he didn't wanna actually play against Kokichi. Hell, he doesn't even know how good Kokichi is at the game. All of this started just because he bragged about winning a chess game against his grandfather... but regardless of how he felt, the day continued, and school ended.
     "Maybe I could just leave." He was talking to himself in the bathroom mirror. "Does forfeiting count as losing?" He didn't wanna do Kokichi's bet for free either.. hell he doesn't even know what to make Kokichi do if he wins. Maybe he'll be allowed to knock some sense into him, or tell him to stop being a lying asshole. Geez. No luck. He sighed one last time, before descending into the game room. Hopes Peak is off limits to any outsiders, but as long as you're a student (or if a student lets you in) you're allowed to stay however long you want. No one stays long though, because who would want to stay in school?
     The room wasn't what he expected. There were so many people there. Shit, if it was just between him and Kokichi then no one would know this was happening.
     "Greetings Kai~Chan!" The nickname made the other feel sick. "Since I wanted to be fair, I brought many people here. If I were to cheat then everyone here would be able to call me out." He grinned.
     "And I can play against you however many times I want?"
     "Indeed." He was already sat at a table, a game of chess already prepared. Kaito reluctantly sat in front of him.
     "You can go ahead and make the first move, whenever you're ready."
     ... he lost the first time.
     "Ok that was just a warm up-! Play me again."
     ... another failure.
     "I just wasn't ready yet, I will be this time."
     ... yet he lost again. Shit.
     "There's no way you're not cheating." He looked up at Kokichi.
     "I'm just really good at this game. Hey, Shuichi," he was a friend of theirs, but Shuichi honestly preferred Kaito. "Did you see my cheat? You were practically watching me.. if it wasn't for this game, I would think you have a crush on me!"
     Shuichi ignored Kokichi's comment, and looked at Kaito. "No.. he.. he's not cheating. I don't even think there is a way to cheat in chess."
     "Doesn't matter, Kokichi, play against me again."
     ...
     ...
     ...
     They played for hours, many of the students and viewers ended up leaving. Kaito was just persistent, but even now he seemed tired of this all. At this point, he swore he could see colors on all the chess pieces.
     "Given up yet?" Kokichi yawned, and started twirling a piece of purple hair with his finger. The rest of his hair shot up in many directions.
     "No- I... play me again." He stared at the board.
     "Oh please, you just don't know when to give up do you?" Kokichi already reached down, and started moving his white pieces back into place.
     Kaito was about to do so as well, but his hand gave up before he did. "Fine." He sighed, accepting defeat. This is gonna allow the prick to have him do anything. "I.. I lost."
     Kokichi's eyes glowed, and he smiled. He immediately looked up, "Finally! I've been waiting to go home." He looked around at the one remaining guest. Kaito had a friend, her name was Maki Harukawa. Kokichi has always hated her, and she has always hated him. "Harukawa~Chan, do you mind giving us a moment of privacy?"
     Her cold stare pierced Kokichi. Usually she would walk home with Kaito. "Fine."
     "Ok.. what do you want me to do?" Kokichi is pretty childish, if he felt merciful, maybe Kokichi would just have him pull a prank.
     "I just want something simple." He grabbed Kaito's hands. "Be my boyfriend."
     Immediately he jumped back. "WHAT NOW?!"
     "Chill. I mean just pretend to be my boyfriend. I don't like Harukawa, so this will be some revenge for me."
     "What? No!" He was straight first of all, and he knew that in the end he would probably end up dating her.
     "Buuuuttt, you lost. Aaannnd, you said I can have you do whatever I want." He smiled. "But since your ugly friend is here, let's start this roleplay next week."
     "Roleplay?"
     "Yep! I'll do all the work and planning, just be prepared to hang out." He picked up his bag. This is all happening so quickly, yet Kokichi is acting like it's nothing. "I'll see you on Monday, handsome." He laughed... how funny is this to him?
     "I-?"
     Without any explanation, he left. Maki came back in. "Kaito? Are you ready to leave yet?" Through her cold persona, she really only allowed herself to be who she really is around Kaito. He didn't wanna lose that.
     "Yeah. Let's get going." But it's not like he'll be allowed to tell her.