Chapter 7

The Last Bet

     Shortly after yesterday, Kokichi posted something on Twitter about the bet. He exposed the joke he and Kaito did. Kaito as well confirmed it for everyone.
     Kokichi also posted another thing, telling his classmates to meet them inside the game room again.
     Kaito was in the game room before Kokichi, he waved to the audience. This time, he felt prepared. He's watched and played enough, he knows what to do.
     He's only had a couple weeks to get ready, and now he's out for the win.
     "Let me help you." Maki assisted in putting everything on the chess board. Ever since Kaito apologized and since the truth got out, she has been all normal again. Guess she really does just hate Kokichi.
     "Thanks Maki-Roll!"
     "Don't mention it."
     Kokichi walked in, shortly after. "Oooo is my dearest Kai~Chan ready to lose again?" A bet was gonna be made, just like the first time. Both sides knew this.
     "Just- play against me."
     Kokichi sat across from Kaito. The audience is barely paying attention, after all nothing exciting happens in this school so two kids playing against each other, that's gonna be the big thing for the week.
     "Alright! Same rules as last time?"
     "Yes." Kaito smiled, it wasn't exactly mischievous. In fact, he was blushing quite a bit.
     ...
     "Huh?" Almost as soon as the game began, Kokichi noticed something.. he's losing? Kaito didn't play like this last time.
     "I've been watching you, and learning as much as I can." He moved his black chess piece across the checkerboard. "And I think I can finally win this time."
     ...
     Kokichi went a different route, another strategy. Yet even then Kaito still cut him off. "Ok, what are you doing?" Kokichi stared at him.
     "I'm just playing the game."
     ...
     That's it?
     Kokichi stared at the chess board, confused. How did.. how did Kaito do this?
     "You better not be planning anything perverted." Kokichi sighed dramatically.
     "What- no??" Kaito defended himself. "That's not, I-" he cleared his throat. "Kokichi instead of a bet, I just want to ask you something."
     "Hm?" Kokichi waited. They could both feel everyone watching them, chatter all in the background.
     "Listen, these past few weeks made me realize something about myself. I thought, I just liked hanging out with you.. but I realized it's something else?"
     "Huh?"
     He walked over to Kokichi, and took his hands into his own. "Look, I really like you."
     Quickly Kokichi took back his hands, and placed them onto his chest. As if he was guarding his heart. He was astonished. ".. if this is a prank, it's a really mean one." He whispered, leaning his head down.
     "I- what? No, this isn't a joke. Listen, I really do like you, and I just wanna ask. Will you go out with me? Genuinely?" Kaito's gaze was soft.
     "Um." Kokichi covered his face, trying to hide his blush. "I-I guess dating you is acceptable, a leader like myself can make due with a right hand man." He was trying to fix his confident persona.
     People clapped, some cheered. Others- were simply leaving because the game was over. But in the end, Kaito and Kokichi still have each other.
     "So, you accept?" Kaito smiled like an idiot.
     "Yes, of course I do."