I

Warning: This chapter contains themes of violence and death that may not be suitable for some readers.

Chapter Song: What Ever Happened? - The Strokes

Nina

Life is funny sometimes, especially when it puts the right person in front of you at the worst of times.

...

Bright lights, loud music, and camera flashes. All eyes fixed on me, accompanied by audible gasps as I walked down the runway, closing the last show of the season. Wearing a gown with a jaw dropping head-to-toe veil embroidered with sequins and glass beads, simulating a starry night. Truly a heavenly design.

...

"Don't you feel on top of the world?" The designer asked me on the way out.

I smiled awkwardly. "I feel like I'm in heaven."

They looked happy. "Today you looked like an angel. Good job, Nina. I can't wait for you to try on my first bridal collection. After all, you were the muse."

"Thanks, Rowan." If only you knew.

I got on the van and shut the door, blocking all the noise from outside. I blankly stared through the window hoping to get to my apartment quickly, I was exhausted. Fashion month was my busiest time of the year, traveling and running from show to show every day. It was the most demanding yet rewarding part of the job.

I went straight to the shower when I arrived, nothing better than a hot bath to drown your thoughts in. 

Be grateful, I'd say over and over again as I submerged my head in the water and screamed my lungs out.

If I was at the very top, how come I couldn't stop crying and screaming every time I was alone?

I was at the peak of my career; I had the success I had always wished for. This was the time I would reminisce about for the rest of my life, my golden years when I was on top of the world. Or at least that's what I would repeat like a mantra to feel better through all my sleepless nights.

If that's what people keep saying to me it must be true, right?

This was one of those nights. Tired from rolling in bed, trying to fall asleep, I went downstairs for a glass of water. The cold kitchen tiles on my bare feet sent a shiver down my spine. In the quiet of the night one could hear every step, breath and heartbeat, but that hyper awareness only feeds a mind's paranoia. I looked around nervously, knowing I was alone but feeling someone's eyes on me. I quickly drank wanting to go back to bed.

I let out a long breath after finishing up, when a loud noise broke the silence. Startled, I dropped the glass on the floor breaking it into pieces. I clicked my tongue, at least I didn't cut my feet. While I was picking up the mess, there was another loud crash. I looked up trying to find where it was coming from, distracted as the third crash echoed in my ears, I cut my finger. I wasn't superstitious but none of this felt like a good omen.

Curiosity almost dug my grave as I approached the door, leaving a trail of blood behind. With my trembling hand inches away from the handle, it started shaking violently. Someone was tampering with the lock.

Scared and confused, I rushed up the stairs. Locking myself in my bedroom I dialled 911 while pressing my back against the door, crouching on the floor. I grew restless as I couldn't hear anything to give me an idea of what the intruder was doing. Although, not knowing at the time was a blessing.