X

Warning: This chapter contains themes of violence and death that may not be suitable for some readers.

Chapter Song: Impossible - Nothing But Thieves

Nina

I woke up in a cage-like room, adorned by bluish lights that made everything around look lifeless. I couldn't wait to get out of there again and not ever come back. I hopelessly looked around and found a beautiful daisy floating on the concrete; a familiar face that made me smile. "Emma." I said softly, her eyes lit up.

She walked up to me and sat on the bed, so we'd be facing each other. "How are you feeling?"

"Weird and a bit lost." I couldn't remember how I ended up in the hospital.

Her brows furrowed with concern. "I'll call the doctor so she can check on you."

"Wait, what happened?" I held her hand to stop her from leaving.

"You really don't remember? You fainted."

"What?"

"We were at the station, and you were waiting for me because I was going to take you home, but I don't know why you left. When I realized I ran behind you as you walked down the street, and I stopped you. Then in the middle of our conversation your nose started bleeding and you fainted." Of course that had to happen to me in front of Emma. I wanted to bury myself in the deepest hole and stay hidden.

"How long was I out for?"

"All night. The doctor said it was a mix of pain and exhaustion. They also told me you haven't been eating well." Yeah, that sums up my last few months.

I noticed she was wearing the same clothes she had when we met at the station. "Did you stay here the whole night?"

"Of course! I was worried sick; I'd never seen you like that." Scratch the hole, lets go hide in another planet.

"I'm so sorry, you didn't have to. You must be really tired and also busy preparing for your new job."

"What? How did you...? You know what, we can talk about that later. Right now, just please listen to me, do you remember the night you stayed at my house?"

"Yeah." I held back a smile.

"The next morning, do you remember what I asked you to do for me?"

I sighed. "I do."

She got closer and gently held my face with both of her hands. "You have to rest, and you have to take better care of yourself, please. If you continue down this path you won't be the only one getting hurt."

My eyes ran away from hers. "I know." More than anyone I knew. Because every day I felt my soul slowly withering into nothing.

"Please look at me." She asked with her soft, deep voice, leaving me with no other choice but to comply. "How can I help you?" Why is it that you have to say such earnest words when I've decided to let go?

"You've already done more than enough."

"I don't think it's been enough." How can I ask anything else of you when I know you're leaving me for good? How is that fair to either of us? "You don't have to tell me right now, just think about it and tell me when you know. For now, I'll go get the doctor, okay?"

"Okay." I couldn't understand her persistence.

Soon after she came back with the doctor. It was Grace, Ren's friend, as always she was perfectly put together. Her light brown hair flawlessly braided, next to her rosy cheeks and starry blue eyes. A sight for sore eyes no doubt.