III

Warning: This chapter themes depictions of violence and death that may not be suitable for some readers.

Chapter Song: Fainted Love - Conan Gray

Nina

Emma cleared her throat and took a step to the side. When she let go of me, I realized how cold that night was. "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Officer Emma Mills and I'm in charge of Nina's stalker investigation."

"Okay, and why are you two together? Did something happen?"

"Nothing happened." I said quietly. "We just ran into each other at the bar, and she offered to take me back because I was tired."

"I see... well, nice to meet you, Emma. I mean, Officer Mills. Hopefully next time you'll have some good news for us, the investigation has been rather... slow." I could see the discomfort on Emma's face.

"Ren." He looked at me and I shook my head, mouthing the word stop.

He grinned. "Sorry, but I'm sure you understand; we just want this to be over."

"I sure do. I'll get going now, goodnight."

When I saw her turn away and leave, my body reacted faster than my mind and I grabbed her hand. She looked at me confused so I let go. "Sorry... umm, thank you for the ride and goodnight."

She finally smiled. "Goodnight."

When she left Ren grabbed my wrist and walked me into the house. "You never told me you were so close with the cop that's trying to catch that piece of shit."

"We're not that close." I brushed it off and went upstairs to get ready for bed.

Of course, he followed right behind. "Really? Because that's not what it looked like."

"I tripped and she helped me, that's all it was."

"Really? Then why did you rush to grab her hand, just to say goodnight?"

"It's called being nice."

He grabbed my shoulders, so I'd look him in the eye. "Do you think this is funny?"

"No, I think it's ridiculous. I'm tired, and I'd really like to go to sleep."

"So now you're avoiding the conversation."

"I'm not, I just don't understand why you're so upset."

"If you saw me doing that, you'd be upset too."

"Can we please just not do this right now?"

"You're right, you must be really tired." He grabbed his pyjamas and walked to the door. "Goodnight."

I sighed. "Where are you going?"

"I'm sleeping in the guest room."

"Wait, don't." I held his arm and pressed my forehead against his shoulder, closing my eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. Just please don't leave."

"I think you'll sleep better if I'm not here."

I didn't want to be alone, I felt scared. I was terrified of being left alone with my thoughts, getting lost in my own mind and jumping into the abyss to never come back up. "Please." I begged with teary eyes.

He caressed my cheek and brushed his hand through my hair. He then hugged me pressing his forehead against mine. The silence comforted me as we laid down next to each other.