Chapter 12: Two Years

Once we were home, I didn't want to speak to anyone but to be alone. Nazir noticed I wasn't interested in talking and neither was Babette or the others so they respectfully kept me to my thoughts which I was grateful for.

Once inside the room, I watched as Cicero began placing our things on the table to the left side of the room before coming to me. I began undressing to see my scar again. He began assisting me even though I didn't really need it, but I was grateful that he was trying to help me.

Once I was only in a gown he wrapped his arms around my waist and held me close. I wrapped my arms around his neck. "It's alright my Listener." He said softly. "I know." I said. "You should rest." He said. "Okay." Once he released me, I went to lie down on the bed and got a good look at my scar.

It was now seeming like an old wound but really it's only been 2 days since the incident. I never knew how tired I must have been until now. Cicero caressed my face while standing beside the bed. "I must attend to our mother. Rest for now." He said. I nodded and began closing my eyes to fall asleep. I just wanted this day to pass me by....I needed to move on.

- 2 Years Later -

I had laid down my blade to become the Listener full time. We gained a few more recruits to join the family; a male Nord by the name of Eldondir, a female Khajiit named Anussi, and Aventus eventually made his way to us. 

Eldondir's life was similar to mine, kidnapped by bandits that killed his loving parents until he impressed the chief then worked his way up until he killed them all. He was about my age and is very kind-hearted to everyone.

Anussi had been a thief her whole life since she was abandoned by her parents to live with her grandmother who unfortunately fell ill while she was still young. She was also kidnapped when trying to fend for herself but by an individual with dark intentions. She killed him and became a freelance assassin until she found us. She reminds me a lot like Volda. Those two became fast friends.

Aventus grew taller and became a handsome young man. Babette took a liking to the teenager and made him a Vampire like her. It was on his own accord of course. They did a few contracts together where he played big brother to her to ambush more than one target. In truth, Babette fancied him.

Cicero enjoyed my company and we always had time to ourselves. It took me a moment to want him to make love to me again. But when we did, it was always special. I never got pregnant again. We tried a few times just to see if Quariel was wrong but not once did I conceive...so he was right.

I lived with that and so did Cicero. We focused on each other and the best interest of the Dark Brotherhood together. He always did his best to make me smile and to keep me happy. We never really officially got married because we haven't gotten around to it. The idea has crossed my mind a few times.

Everyone was off doing contracts while I was sitting at the table reading a book about werewolves when the Night Mother began calling to me again. "Listener, come and hear my voice...." I placed down the book and began heading to her coffin as I always did.

Standing before her, I waited quietly for her words. "Someone has prayed to their mother....seek out the one called Olivia in the Bannered Mare in Whiterun....take the contract and kill the target..." I nodded and decided to take the contract myself.

No one else was around to take it but Babette. But I wanted to take it for once. Cicero was standing beside me watching me; he knew when I was listening and when I was just standing there. "Another contract?" He asked. "Mhm, and I am taking this one myself." I turned to head to our room to gather supplies for the journey.

Cicero began following me to our room. "But you laid down your blade. You chose to become the Listener only. What changed your mind?" 

"I want to have a contract to myself for once, it's been a while so I figured there would be no harm done if I left." I smiled as I was packing my things. "Let me accompany you." He took my right hand. "I want to do this one on my own if that's alright. I'll be in Whiterun where it's safe. You can trust me." I smiled.