Chapter 7

Skeppy POV

Waiting a week to get assigned something as endlessly boring as a job assignment has never dragged out so long.

I try to keep myself busy, distract myself from the unbearable pain of having your favorite person not even remember your name, but it's hard.

Puffy is around me a lot, she has to be according to XD, but the company still helps.

She'd even introduced me to her girlfriend, an angel with pale pink wings and a sweet personality.

Somehow, seeing Puffy and Niki together only makes everything hurt more.

Before we actually have the meeting, I'm supposed to think of some job options myself, but it's not like I care. Unless...

"Hey, Puffy?" I turn to face her, me sprawled across my bed and her curled up in an armchair across the room.

"Yes?" She sits up straighter.

"Are there any jobs where I would have to- or, get to work with demons? Just curious."

She studies me intently, taking a moment before responding. "Well, there's the obvious one, being a gate guardian. But you'll only see the single demon you work with, and the working conditions aren't exactly the best. Other than that, I'm not sure."

A guardian, isn't that what Darryl had been doing? But, he already had an angel working with him.

"But isn't that job like, taken?"

Puffy laughs, "There are multiple people who pose as guardians, Zak. People need a break."

I flush in embarrassment. "Oh, yeah."

"But, the working conditions for a guardian aren't great. The hours are long, you have to work with demons, which is what you asked, but you don't want to be near those disgusting creatures, trust me. Plus, to prepare you for the role, we have to do some...pretty extreme things." She spits the word 'demon' with disgust in her voice.

I choose not to mention the reason I'm even considering this role is because I want to spend my days with a certain 'disgusting creature' though in my eyes, he's anything but that. Demon or not.

Puffy continues to drone on, "There are a lot of positions I'm sure you'll love a lot more. Ooh, maybe you can help in the castle with me!"

I groan internally. "What else is there?"

"You could be a gardener, help welcome new angels, become a soldier, an entertainer, or there always a healer, I could also definitely see you as a trainer! There are so many options, much safer than working with demons!"

"Um, what would I do if I worked with you?" I don't actually care, but Puffy's a good friend, and I want to at least seem interested in what she has to say.

"Well, you could be a cleaner, a cook, a personal assistant, a welcomer, a guard, the list goes on! Ask XD for more information during your meeting."

"Will do."

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

Turns out, I have to wait a bit longer than a week to get my meeting.

By the end of the month though, I'm finally fit in.

Puffy knocks lightly on my bedroom door, poking her head in.

"Zak! XD is finally ready to see you!"

I shoot up from my bed, bubbling with excitement and slight anxiety. "Really? Oh my god, one sec."

I quickly change out of my hoodie and sweatpants into something a bit more presentable for the god of heaven.