Chapter 11

Skeppy POV

Regardless of what anyone says, I don't seem to be getting more used to my job over time. For some reason, whenever even the slightest sad thing happens, I'm a broken mess of tears and shaking.

Bad's been helping with that anxiety a lot. Not a moment after a soul is gone, he's scooping me up in his arms and whispering sweet things in my ears, slowly counting the seconds until my breathing goes back to normal, telling me how talented I am.

Just the simple fact that he goes so far to help me make me want to cry more, cry about the fact that a soul as pure as his isn't in heaven where it belongs.

Since I can't put him where he belongs, I at least make sure to constantly show how much I care about him.

"Baaaaad, I'm bored." I groan, swinging my legs over the edge of the cloud I've been sitting on.

"We're literally at work right now, you ragamuffin, it's not supposed to be fun."

"Yeah, but it is fun 'cause you're here, but right now you're not hanging out with me." I frown, looking at the hunched over demon, studying a stack of papers in front of him.

Setting the papers aside with a dramatic sigh, Bad stands up and opens his arms for a hug, which I immediately fling myself into.

"I'm sorry, Skeppy. I just have so much work to do and there's never much time when I get home."

"What is it? We have the same job, shouldn't we have the same amount of work?" We sit down, me laying my head in Bad's lap and smiling up at him.

He threads delicate claws between stands of my hair. "It's not really for this, just weekly reports on how I'm doing for his Majesty King Philza. I'm not really sure why I have to do it but it is a process. The lease for the house I'm living in is almost up as well, so I'm trying to get the same place again. There's also just some stuff about the new demons who come to the Nether. I can do it later, though. I'm sorry for ignoring you."

He smiles brightly at me, but I can now see how stressed he is.

"Aw, now I feel bad. You can do your work." I pause, before mumbling something else, "And maybe can you keep playing with my hair like that? It's fine if you don't-"

His eyes crinkle with laughter. "Yeah, you muffin, you're so cute."

I force myself to grumble at that, hiding the faint blush that spreads on my cheeks, making my diamond freckles glow.

I settle next to Bad, watching as he scribbles down little notes on his papers, sorting through them and whispering things to himself.

I allow my eyes to close in relaxation, not falling asleep, just focusing on the fingers carding through my hair.

It's closer to the end of the day, so there are bigger gaps between each soul. Enough time for us to take a quick rest and just enjoy the company.

Bad's been working a lot lately, always bringing a huge stack of papers to work, always stressed. He thinks I don't notice, but there are some pretty obvious bags under his eyes.

I wish there was something I could do to help, but that's the problem with us being destined to be enemies.

"Bad?" My eyes are still closed. "What are your other friends like?"

He's silent for a moment and I'm about to repeat the question, when he speaks up.

"I only have one other friend, his name is Quackity."

I know this was my question, but for some reason the answer makes me mad. It's not like Bad isn't allowed to have other friends. "Oh? Tell me about him."