Chapter 10

Badboyhalo POV

To say things are different now would be an understatement, but it's not an unwelcome change.

It's my day off for the week, which usually I would look forward too, but my clingy self already misses Skeppy.

Trying to distract myself and fill the empty day, I invite Quackity over to just hang out and catch up.

So here we are, reclined on my couch, talking about random things, and I still haven't brought up my new work partner. It might just be some deeper feeling that Quackity might feel like he's being replaced, but it's clear I'm avoiding telling him as long as possible.

"...and then she fell off, literally stumbling back so hard that there's a hole in the wall now! It was absolutely hilarious, Bad. You should've seen it!"

I chuckle lightly. "That sounds pretty crazy, do you need help fixing your wall?"

"Nah, man, I'll just slap some duct tape on it or something, no biggie." Quackity grins at me.

Rolling my eyes, I smile fondly at him. "That's not gonna work, let me repair it sometime."

"Yeah, whatever. Anyway, you haven't said much, how's your life been going?"

"Oh, you know, just the usual work and such."

He holds my gaze carefully. "Nah, you seem...happier? It's like you're glowing. Did you meet someone?"

I look away. "Just a coworker, nothing like what you're thinking."

"Suuure, well what's their name? When can I meet them?"

"His name is Skeppy." I can't hide my smile. "But I don't think you'll ever get to meet him, since he's an, um, he's an angel."

Quackity's expression turns from excited and intrigued to an emotionless stare. He seems to be in deep thought, but it only lasts for half a second before he's laughing again.

"So that's why you seem so happy around me, because you're glad to get away from that nasty creature. Dang, I'm sorry man, I thought y'all weren't supposed to talk to each other. We could report him if you want?"

My heart shatters at this. Of course, most demons just hate the angels for the simple reason of jealousy, but I thought Quackity was different. Or that he'd at least try to accept my only other friend, regardless of who they are in the afterlife.

"Please don't report him. It's really not that bad, I'm just happy because we haven't seen each other in so long."

"I know, is this angel the one telling you to go in early? He's probably manipulating you."

It's not like I can say that, yes, he is the reason I've been excited to be there hours longer than needed.

"No, I just like to have some time there without new souls, it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't have that as a job." My voice is a quiet mumble.

Quackity nods. "Oh, that's good. Wanna see the place without a filthy stuck-up angel. I get it."

With everything he says, I'm getting more and more uncomfortable. It's not like in the past, the topic of angels has ever come up, but I've never heard Quackity bad mouth anything this intensely. It's like he has a personal grudge against them.

"I'm going to get myself a glass of water, be right back." I climb shakily to my feet, making way to my kitchen.

Quackity nods in acknowledgment before turning to his communicator.

As soon as I'm out of the room, it feels like I can breathe again. Downing my water in one swig, I lean against the counter for a moment, catching my breath.