Episode #9: Our Place in the Myths

Margie had started out pushing Julie's wheelchair at a fast clip to get her back to the convalescent center before it got too dark out, but Julie objected with her hands flung out wide.

"Margie Dear, I think we need to talk, don't we? There's a bench right over there." She pointed to where a bench sat right next to the sidewalk.

Margie wheeled Julie over and oriented the wheelchair so that they faced each other with their knees touching. She put her hands on Julie's that rested on the arms of the chair. "Yes, we do."

"Have you been given Lesa's – I mean, your mother's – note yet?"

"Yes. Uncle Lenny gave it to me just a month ago now. I wrote you afterward, but I didn't want to be too explicit."

"Oh. It was Lenny she gave that chore to, huh? No. You couldn't be too explicit, no, definitely not, I thought that was what you had referred to though."

"Yes. It was."

"Your mother probably thought it might upset Roger too much. She mentioned having me do it, but we agreed that it should be someone younger who would be around when you got this age. How did it go? I mean, did it shock you too badly?"

"No. I figured it might be something like that."

"How did you feel about it though?"

"I was angry – well, really mad. Uncle Lenny helped me with it. He was great. He explained more about what Mom only mentioned in the letter about Sharon. That helped."

"So you're okay with it now? I read her letter, you know. I was there when she wrote it. It was another very hard thing for her to get through. Me too. She was heartbroken by the whole situation, but it wasn't that she didn't love you as much as anyone has ever been loved, Dear. She did love you so very much. But she felt as though she had betrayed Ray and been betrayed herself."

"I always knew that much – how much she loved me. Lenny told me the rest, but I like the way you tell me. You tell me like the mother you have always been to me."

"You seem to have remained your charming self through it. I do try to be like a good mother to you, even if I am too old for that."

Margie smiled. "Oh, Auntie. You are more of a mother to me than anyone else could ever have been. Mom died when I was so young, but you were always there for me. You didn't even dress me funny." She fairly bounced; her lighthearted sense of humor had taken over now.

"You gave me the pleasure of knowing what it's like to raise a child to be a magnificent lady my dear. I think I did an absolutely perfect job of it too, don't' you?""

"I do. Absolutely I do."  She laughed.  "Aren't you getting cold now though?"

"Maybe a little, and they'll be missing you before long, so you better get me back I guess."

Margie whirled her around with a joyous squeal, which made Julie sputter with laughter.

When they had settled back down to an easy stroll, Julie asked, "So Margie Dear, does Roger know yet?"

"No. Not yet."

"Will you tell him?"

"Oh, yes, I have to. Mom left that to me, you know."

"When then?"

"Tomorrow."

They were in the rest home then. There was enthusiasm, even cheers throughout the lobby, at the sight of Julie coming in. Julie introduced Margie to the staff and a couple of her friends that "Doctor Margie Sorensen" had – as well as the few she hadn't – previously met. Margie stayed to help Julie into the bed in her private room, and then strolled thoughtfully back to Roger and Ellie's home.