Episode #19: Long, Long Day

Roger had settled down to read some more of Maria's thesis, but after just starting he thought he should call her. Their conversation was short but sweet – as in very sweet to the taste – with reminiscences and promising promises for later in the week – if he could hold off that long he admitted to himself as he did also to her.

As he was just getting back into the challenging aspects of weak interactions in her thesis, his cell phone rang. It was Tommy.

"Tommy, hi! I understand you're making an assault on my records."

"Oh, Dad! Dad!"

"What? What's happened?"

"It's Mom. She texted me; she's in that restaurant where the shooting is going on."

"Where?"

"North Bend. A restaurant out by the airport. It's all over the TV."

"What did the text say?"

"Here, I'll read it: 'Tommy. Shooter in here. People dead. Joe's dead."

Only she didn't finish that last word. It was only 'D-E'."

"Oh God! I have to get downstairs to the TV." His phone went dead, Tommy had hung up.

Ray was out in the hallway, stopped and ran to Lisa's door. He opened it and yelled, "Lisa, come downstairs."

Downstairs he fumbled with the controller. Lisa was there then and grabbed it from him. She had the TV on with the usual mass shooting coverage of cop cars, aid cars, sirens blaring, armed policemen, uninformed and fumbling announcers saying only what they always say and interviewing passers-by for snippets of pithy worthless comments.

"What are we watching Roger?" Lisa asked.

"Ellie's in there. She sent Tommy a text message."

"Oh no, oh no, oh no, Roger. No! No..."

His cell rang again. This time it was Margie. "Oh, Roger. What shall we do?"

"We better get up there I guess, don't you think so? Was it just Ellie and Joe in there? What about Cecil and Marianne?"

"I don't know. It must be just them, because Uncle Cecil and Aunt Marianne were flying in this afternoon to arrive at 5:30 is what I thought Mom told me. Mom and Joe were probably just having a bite to eat before they went to pick them up at the airport. We've tried calling Uncle Cecil, but he must have his phone off."

There was another burst of gunfire that could be heard on the TV. Lisa was sobbing as she walked to the kitchen to get the phone and begin dialing.

Roger listened to Margie's sobs in response to the coverage.

"We better arrange flights and get there as soon as we can. I'll let you go so I can make arrangements."

Lisa was in the kitchen.

"What're you doing?" Roger asked Lisa as he began searching for the airlines.

"I'm calling the airlines." Then into the phone, "Oh, hello; I'd like the earliest flight from Palo Alto to North Bend, Oregon." There was a pause. "That's 6:45? Okay. And what's the flight number?" She repeated it. " Thank you."

"Thanks Lisa. I'll schedule the flight on-line. I'm in there now."

"Make it for two Roger. I'm coming with you."

By the time they were airborne, a death toll had been announced.

Seventeen, not counting the gunman who was presumed dead also.