Final Chapter

SAIGE

"Saige! What the hell happened to your arm?" The sweet, familiar voice of Zaylee directs my attention toward the classroom door.

My two friends stand in the doorframe with puzzled expressions. I instinctively down glance at my arm and see that my blazer sleeve had ridden up my forearm just enough that the end of bandage peaked out.

Damnit, I was hoping I could get through the school day without being questioned extensively. A couple other kids sitting at their tables turn toward where I am. Embarrassment warms my cheeks and I hurriedly pull my sleeve down to completely cover the wrapped linen.

Before I can blink, Zaylee and Rowan are by my side. Rowan stands in front of my table with a frown and she folds her across her chest. Zaylee plants her butt in Nolan's empty seat. She leans in real close, staring at me with concerned eyes.

"It's not that bad, just a scratch really." The lie comes out of my mouth too easily. The weight of my action is already heavy on my being and it's becoming difficult to keep carrying around.

I catch their quick glances at one another. They don't believe me once again and it makes my heart sink with guilt. The realization that I've been lying to them since the first day I arrived at this cursed town metaphorically slaps me across the face. I expect Carson to stop keeping secrets from me but that's all I've been doing to Zaylee and Rowan.

I have to— no, I need to tell them both the truth. The naïve part of me believes they won't eat me because I consider them my friends, but the rational voice reminds me of their supernatural capabilities. A fire begins to burn in the pit of my stomach, my indecision fueling my desire to take action right this moment. No more can I take being the scared mouse trapped in a den full of cats.

Nothing can stop the determination coursing through me, except being seated in Mr. Jackson's science classroom where there are other vampires who have unearthly super hearing.

Determined to rid myself of the burden of secrets, I abruptly stand up. Accidentally spooking poor Zaylee in process, who jumps back from my sudden movement. My fingers delicately wrap around each of their wrists and I gently drag them out of the classroom. I'm fully aware of their wide eyes and slacked jaws. Both of them are at a loss for words by this unforeseen turn of events.

"This is a first for her. Usually we're the ones pulling her everywhere." Rowan states to Zaylee who chuckles in return.

She's right. I would never have been brave enough to do something this overdramatic. But unbeknownst to them, a lot of things have happened in the last couple weeks. I've been forced to strengthen my once fragile human armor in order to survive in this hostile vampire-filled town. Whether it's for the better or worse that Rowan and Zaylee know I am a human, it's too early to say. I try not to think too much about the possible consequences of my choice.

By chance, the three of us walked right past Nolan as he's headed toward the classroom. His eyes darken as he makes direct contact with mine and he raises an eyebrow as I pull the girls down the hall in the opposite direction. And to my surprise, I don't feel the fear that strikes my body and makes me quiver when brooding Nolan is nearby. Instead, I stare hard back at him and then flippantly turn away with my chin still pointed high.

Nolan's eyes slightly widen, confusion swirling behind his stormy hues. He is shocked by the sudden change in my demeanor toward him. But what he doesn't know is there remains not an ounce of fear for him or Reece anymore. Luka is the one who terrorizes me in my nightmares now.

"Where are you taking us? We have maybe six minutes until the tardy bell rings." Rowan states from behind me.

Making such an abrupt decision means I plan on where I could take them. Quickly, I search around looking for somewhere private, a place where we won't be disturbed by prying eyes and ears. A janitor's sign just up ahead catches my attention. I'm sorry Zaylee and Rowan, its not the most ideal place but there aren't many options. The grip I have on their wrists tightens as I direct the three os us toward the closet. Swiftly, I open the door and pull us inside the dark, musty room.

Hopefully no one will notice.

"This is definitely not what I had in mind when you dragged us out of that classroom." Zaylee gripes as my eyes begin adjusting to the pitch blackness.

The silhouette of her fingers reach up to her face and pinch her nose. The smell of cleaning chemicals is quite strong in this tiny space. My shoulders brush against both of theirs as we face one another in sort of triangle of shape. Rowan is the only particular thinker and reaches for the wall, easily flicking the light switch upward.

I have to blink a few times to allow for my vision to adjust to the sudden brightness. They both give me expectant expressions as they wait for me to explain what the hell is going. But where do I even start my story? There's this predisposed feeling that it would take years to apprise them of all the details of what I've endured in the last month.

A hard lump forms in the back of my throat. "I'm just going to come out and tell you girls," they simultaneously raise their perfectly manicured brows, "I have this secret I haven't told y'all yet and I'm sorry I've been lying and—"

"Just tell us already!" Rowan groans and shakes her head. Her dark hair falls perfectly, framing her pale slender face.

I take in a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

"I'm not a vampire—" The lock I've kept on those words comes undone and falls to the floor with an earth shattering thud. ". . . I'm a human."

My eyes squeeze shut, afraid of their reaction to my biggest kept secret here in Wintercrest. Trapping myself in a janitors closest and then informing my friends who are vampires that I'm their favorite snack isn't seeming to be the most brilliant idea I've ever had. But I'm really hoping it isn't my worst mistake.

You might ask why did I decided to do this now. I have faith in Zaylee and Rowan. I trust them. This is the most convincing argument I have stowed away in my arsenal.

The final inhale of breath I take remains trapped inside of my lungs. Anxiety claws at my mind. Despite my confidence in the bond of friendship, fear continues to wiggle around impatiently inside of me. I have not truly witnessed what the girls are capable of doing with their vampire abilities. So far in my experience, breaking down that wall of mystery has only brought more questions than answers.

In just a trice, the lovely giggle of Zaylee dissipates the tension that was taking control over my body. Ironically, her voice right now could be compared to that of an angel.

"We've had our suspicions since your first day at Wintercrest Academy," Zaylee breathes with such fondness I can hear the cracking of my armor. "You're the weirdest vampire we've ever met.

THE END OF AAVS

If you loved this story and are interested in reading a reimagined and improved version of this story, check out Fangtality when it comes out this 2024!