Chapter 2: Challenge Accepted

The next day, Thomas was at Brendam docks. He had a heavy flatbed of machinery to collect. Spencer was there. He was being coupled up to five flatbeds of building materials.

Spencer: Dear, oh dear, Thomas. It's just as well The Duke and Duchess don't have a tiny toy tank engine like you. The summer house would never be finished. But Violet.....

Thomas: (cuts him off) What do you mean?

Spencer: I mean, Violet is fully capable of helping me with some regular cargo, and getting the summer house finished. But you just can't pull heavy loads.

Thomas was upset, and so were the other engines; this time, Spencer had gone too far!

Thomas: Yeah, Spencer. I can pull just as heavy loads as you.

Percy: Yes, he can! Even heavier!

Gordon: Thomas is not a toy.

Edward: He's a really useful engine.

James: and he's very strong.

But the Sodor engines didn't scare Spencer. An idea bubbled in his boiler.

Spencer: Very well, Thomas. Meet me tomorrow at dawn at the shunting yards. We will have a contest of strength. We will each pull a heavy load and we'll see who can pull it for longer and for further.

Just when Spencer was going to leave the docks. A whistle blew loud and clear, catching the engines off guard even Spencer. Then they realized that it was Violet who puffed ahead of Thomas and she was very cross, glaring at Spencer intensely.

Violet: If you're going to challenge Thomas, then challenge me instead.

The engines were shocked to hear what Violet had just said, But Spencer's sly smile grew, he thinks she is still weak.

Spencer: Very well then. But don't think I'm going to go easy on you.

Then Violet smirked, showing that she isn't going to back down.

Violet: Oh, Trust me. You don't have to.

Spencer slid slyly out of the docks. Suddenly, Violet felt really worried.

Violet: Bust My Buffers! I don't know if I can do this. Spencer will win a contest of strength.

The other engines saw that their friend was worried.

Thomas: You're the number 13 engine on Sodor and you'll show Spencer that Sodor engines are more special than he is.

Percy: And we know that because you're our friend.

Violet looked at her friends, Thomas and Percy. They believed in her.

Violet: I will meet Spencer at dawn and I will win!