Departure

It's been a week since they decided to stay at the city, but now they were getting ready to finally leave it behind. In their time here they tried to meet a few people but the same thing had happed every time. Because of the rumors that have spread around about a new selection of Gems arriving, everyone's first question is whether or not you are one. And even if you lied, and told them you weren't, somehow everyone found out and shunned them. It got really annoying for them.

Well, because of it they weren't able to find a job here, so now, when they're completely broke, they're headed to a small town, Keese not far from here. Rumors spread throughout the town that other Gems were spotted there and they thought that maybe they could get some help.

Anyway, Alice and Kate found out enough to get by for a while, as well as trained their bodies quite a bit. But they still needed money. Because they had to save as much as possible for food and supplies they couldn't even afford new clothes, so Kate's mark stayed as visible as it was the day she ended up here.

"Did you read that map alright? We're lost!" Alice screamed.

Kate just gave her a weird look and said " Yes, I did and were not lost they just didn't finish the road yet" she said while looking at the map with a slightly confused look. It was a similar look to the one she had when she tried read that first letter.

"Of course not! Why would they build a road on a cliff!?" Alice screamed with annoyance.

They were mid-way down an extremely steep hill. They managed to slowly make their way down thanks to the trees that shoot straight up, they used them as weight supports.

Earlier, they had traveled with a group of trades-men, but at one point their paths parted. They were headed for the port and the girls were headed toward a small town not too far from where they were. There were rumors going around that other Gems have been spotted there and that most of the other people left out of fear.

After that, the road gradually became worse and worse until it completely diapered.

"We really have a talent for getting lost, don't we" Alice commented.

"We are not lost...It's the road's fault, it keeps disappearing..." she said while jumping on the, finally flat ground and out of the forest. She waited a minute for Alice to come down too.

"How're you doing?" Kate asked worriedly.

"It's a little difficult, but I'll live" she answered.

Alice lost the movement of her legs in an accident so she knew how to walk from before, but was still getting used to it and always had to look where she was stepping. That was also the reason why Kate, even though getting them lost, was the one with the map.

"So were to now?" Alice asked with an evil smirk.

Kate paused for a second than sighed.

"No idea" she blunted out and threw the map in Alice direction, but it fell to the ground. They were only a few steps away from each other.

They were quiet.

"Alice, could I borrow your bow and arrow for a second?" she asked quietly, not removing her gaze from the sheet of paper.

"Y-yeah..." she said while unstrapping the bow from her back. She handed them to Kate.

Kate took them and placed the arrow in its place.

"What should I shot at?" she asked.

Alice hummed while scanning the area and finally pointed at a large oak tree.

"That" she said simply. It wasn't too far from them. Close enough to shoot straight and still hit your target.

Alice pulled back the arrow and aimed. She let go of it and the arrow hit. The problem is it hit the tree next to the one she was supposed to.

"I am never doing this again" Kate said as she stormed off in a random direction.

"Kate, wait!" Alice yelled to her. She grabbed the map and dashed.

When she finally coughed up she asked where Kate was going but no answer.

"Come on... So what if you can't aim? I bet that I wouldn't know how to use a sword" she said like talking to a child.

Kate pouted.

"Prove it then"

Alice sighed and without stopping told Alice to hand her her sword. But the moment all its weight was on Alice the sword slammed to the found and she stumbled.

"What the..." she said which caused Kate to halt.

"This thing is way too heavy" she said. Kate shrugged.

I think it's just fine. A short smirk escaped her while she was taking back the blade.

"I think it's just fine" she said while taking one last glance at it and then continued.

***

The Sun was setting on the horizon leaving the sky with a reddish tone. The night breeze was beginning to blow leaving a chilling feeling on the skin. Some petals scattered and blew across the sky; leaves scraped each other and made rustling sound that spread throughout the valley.

The grass in it was tall and difficult to walk in. Insects were flying around everywhere but didn't touch them, however sometimes they looked like they were fighting a ghost. The mountains in the distance had bright white peeks that shone on the evening light.

Finally there was a clearing right before another forest and the grass was replaced by ground level weeds and other plants and made a descent spot to put up camp.

"How about we stop for the night?" a deep husky voice echoed slightly in the now completely dark valley.

A backpack dropped to the ground and a pair of arms ware stitching high above his head.

"If we're going to, we should hurry. Sun's just set" another slightly higher voice said.

"Agreed..." another backpack slammed down as the rusty voice commented.

The three boys lit a fire which's crackling broke the silence.

***

Kate was shaken to being awake. Here sticky eyelids barely opened and at the same time the morning rays reached her eyes.

"Agh!" she rolled over on her side.

"Wake up already! There's a fire near" Alice screamed.

Adrenalin pumped through her vanes as her head shot up.

"What!?Why didn't you tell me sooner!?" she asked panicky.

"I tried!" Alice protested.