Chapitre 2

Porco was pretty tough. When they reached his car, parked at the fringe of the woods, Pieck let a sigh of relief because he had managed to walk back with no real difficulty, the crutch the boys had found had truly helped him. They had been slower though, and when they got out from the woods, the daylight had turned into a shy twilight. The kids, vigorous and noisy at first, had ended pretty quiet and dull, feeling the kind of tiredness that appears after an exciting day. They had loved their exploration and enjoyed each moment of the exploration, but at this moment when only the inconvenience of the trip back was left, they only wanted to get back home and sleep.

While they were putting their bags in the boot, Porco just sat down at the driving seat, the car door open, the feet outside, and once again got his shoe and sock off to check on his ankle, while Pieck crouched in front of him.

- Are you okay? She asked.

- Well... I'll be better once we're home, he answered, grinded his teeth.

He hissed when she touched his ankle however, and she understood he was just hiding his pain. The skin seemed even darker to her, but she couldn't be sure of it considering the daylight had decreased.

- Think you can drive us back? She asked while the kids were taking place at the back seats.

- It's not like we have the choice. You, could you drive?

- Hell no! I don't want to kill all of us.

- Ah ah! Porco chuckled. Don't worry, we got over the worst. A brake is nothing, compared to walking. I'll just drive slower, just to be sure.

- By slower, Gabi suddenly spoke from the back seats, do you actually mean you'll finally respect the speed restrictions?

Laughs cracked in the car while Pieck, smiling, stood up and reached for the front passenger seat.

- Maybe we can finally expect a safe drive, Udo added, and Porco raised the head over the headrest.

- What about you all get home on foot? he groaned.

- Just joking, lame man, Gabi answered.

Pieck sat down on the seat, with her camera bag on her knees, and looked back at the four children tightly packed in the back seats.

- Everything okay, for you?

- Still no fourth seat belt since this morning, Zofia answered, but it'll be fine.

- Well, the third one doesn't even work in this banger, Gabi objected.

- Hey, what are you calling a banger? Porco scolded while programming his sat nav. My car's a racing car, you uncultured thug.

And while the girls were teasing Porco, Falco patted Pieck's shoulder.

- Sorry, he said, we didn't see your bag, do you want me to put it in the boot?

- Nah, thanks, Falco, she answered with a smile. I'll keep it with me.

- Let's go for two hours rides, guys! Porco finally announced as he closed his door, settled the sat nav and turned the key.

And the drive started, the car slowly left the field where they were parked to get the country lane through the high wheat.

For the first ten minutes, Pieck paid close attention to Porco, making sure that he could drive, while the kids were checking and sharing their clichés on their cameras. But Porco did as he had said and drove pretty slowly, and she was dying to satisfy her curiosity. So she finally opened her bag, feeling again like a child unwrapping her present during Christmas. The envelopes were here, waiting for her to read them. Excited, with restless fingers, she slowly took them, let her bag fall at her foot and sank in her seat, feeling like she was about to read the final book of her favourite saga, after years of patience.