Chapter 22.

Ceasar growls low in his throat as the rest of the hexagram candles gutter and die. "She's broken the hex," Blair gasps. "The Seal was the only thing holding her outside the first circle. If her spirit gets close enough to touch us, she can perform a possession." I swivel my head towards the menacing serpent energy rising around us like a black riptide. I feel rage feeding upon itself like a snake eating its own tail. For the first time, I realize Mary's ancient sorcery is stronger than Blair's white magic. I look at my best friend. Her face is contorted with the effort of keeping the circle intact. Sweat beads her forehead. Something has gone terribly wrong—the dark energy is going after the weakest person in the circle, Paco.

"Blackbeard doesn't care about his treasure. He can't use it anymore." Blair says. "There are two spirits here."

I remember what Dylan jokingly said about Blair. She loves gold so much, she must be part dragon. Blair is a greedy draco at heart, but she's also fierce and ruthless when it comes to protecting her friends. That's how she can defeat this thing.

"Blair, forget the treasure! I know you wanted the gold to start your own clothing line, but I'll help you. We can do this together. You don't need Blackbeard's plunder." Tears stream down her eyes. She didn't realize I knew her heart's deepest desire.

I turn to Paco and grasp his hand, closing the circle. "Think of your Abuela and how much she loved you. Don't feed this darkness with fear."

Finally, I take a deep breath and address the angry voodoo Priestess. "Mary, I know your husband betrayed you—I felt your agony, but you're only hurting Bethany if you seek revenge. Your daughter needs your love, not your vengeance."

Blair shivers, her entire body going into a convulsive state. Her eyes dilate, turning completely black as the oracle speaks through her lips.

Eh, eh, Mbumba
Kanga ndoki
Kanga
(Serpent Cult)
(I implore the)
(Rainbow snake)

Dylan says, "Mary, your husband cheated on you six times—you have every right to be pissed." He ducks as a fiery orb, the size of a cannon ball, misses his head by an inch and hits Julia's new curtains. Luckily, the industrial fabric is nonflammable.

"Stop trying to help," I hiss.

Everything halts as a bokeh of soothing light surrounds Paco in a protective aura. His prayers cease and his eyes slowly open. An elderly woman with gray hair and a kind face, wrapped in a shawl, is standing behind him. She puts a see-through hand on her grandson's shoulder and smiles. I see his whole body relax as the fear leaves him. One by one the pentagram lights reignite and the smell of violets, nasturtium, and lemons sweep away the pungent odor of decay.

Paco's grandmother looks at me and I can hear what she's saying in my mind's eye. Voodoo chooses an all powerful, supernatural being to be the high priestess in this world. But this being is a nonpoisonous serpent, and protects all who assemble to worship her.

Taking a deep breath, I temporarily break the circle to ring all three of Julia's bells simultaneously. I'm counting on the triad being part of the voodoo ritual. I feel the serpent energy remain still, as if it's listening. "Mary, Blackbeard did love you. He loved both his daughters. Your husband didn't abandon you. He was hung." Sadness fills my heart. I look at Paco's abuela and she nods for me to continue. "You're a powerful priestess. There's evil here, but it's not you. Use your power and help us find out who murdered the young man who lived here. His spirit can't rest." I put the gold doubloon in the center of the table. "Who committed murder to get their hands on this treasure?"