Chapter 29

Back in our loft apartment, Jerry is giving Agent Monroe of the FBI the last details of Jack's murderous plot to steal Blackbeard's treasure. All this time, my grandmother's boyfriend was working with the federal agency. He couldn't tell us he was involved. Even, Julia didn't know.

The other agent, Kellerman is winding down their his questioning of Roy regarding the disappearance of William Malloy. "This was just a formality. We know you had nothing to do with the murder of Mr. Malloy." Finished with his interviews with Roland, Roy, Dylan and I, he snaps his briefcase shut

Now that the mayor's not sabotaging your district with construction, your business can recover," Julia informs Roland.

"I'm too in debt." He hangs his head. Finding that  treasure was my last hope."

"These are delicious, mam." Blond Agent Monroe strolls over with a chocolate chip cookie.

"Help yourself," Julia holds up a tray with a fresh batch straight out of the oven and smiles at him.

"Why don't you help yourself to the whole building? Without that treasure, I'm going to lose my property, and The Pirate's Republic, Roland says bitterly.

"I'm sorry, but the bell belongs to the nation the original gold was taken from." The agent brushes crumbs from his tie.

If I was Roland, I would be upset too. We did all the work, now the government is going to abscond with the priceless gold bell? "It doesn't seem fair. We should get some sort finders fee. I'm sad we're going to lose our apartment. I really love it here." I sigh.

As the door closes behind the two agents, much to my horror, Roland starts weeping. His brown eyes are filled with tears like a heartbroken alpaca. "I wish I was rich."

I can't take his sadness. I glance away, then do a double take. The dead upstairs tenant, William Malloy, is sitting in the brown club chair. He's no longer wet. He stands up and holds one of the ghostly a bottles of rum. The same one from our sceance. Waving the glowing green bottle, he gestures for me to follow. He moonwalk drifts up to the opposite side of the apartment where Julia's hung our new curtains. Like a magician, he disappears between the putty-colored curtains and into brick wall. The same wall that Mary Ormond's fiery orb entered.

"Roland," I whisper.

He looks up at me, his large eyes glistening.

"You may get your wish."

I'm certain that there's a hidden space behind that wall.

"Do you have a sledgehammer?"

He nods, "That's a good idea. Let's rip out all the valuable fixtures we can get. Screw the government."

Paco shakes his head.

Roland fetches a sledgehammer and hands it to me. "I walk over to the brick wall, raise up the heavy heavy long-handled hammer and strike with all my might. A puff of concrete blows out of the wall and I land on my ass.

"Lizzy, what're you doing?" Dylan rushes over. "We have a security deposit."

I stand up. "Dylan, I saw William Malloy. He's trying to tell me something." I feel ghostly hands cover mine as I swing the sled hammer again. This time four bricks fly and leave a basketball-sized hole. A rush of air flows out the gouge in the mortar.

Roland sits up. "There's another tunnel.

"Aye," Roy rubs his chin imitating a pirate. The lass is on to something."

We all start ripping bricks off the wall to enlarge the hole, while Julia looks out from behind the curtain to make sure the agents have left.

"Grab a flashlight."

One by one we step into the narrow four foot by six foot high secret passage. I flash the light. In the corner are ten cobweb covered, ancient casks stacked one on each other.

"Madeira wine." Roland shouts. "My grandfather must have found these in the lower passages and hidden it here years ago. He died suddenly of a heart attack. This must be his stash."

Dylan rubs his hand over the dusty cask. "How much are these worth?"

"About 50K each, if you auction them," Roy says. "They're a historical treasure."

"Oh my god, I'm rich." Roland grin's manically.

"We're rich," I remind him.

"Me too," Paco says.

Julia laughs with delight. "This will bring in enough working capital pay to off your debts. You can save your bar and start your distillery."

I look at Dylan and then smile at Roland. "Dylan and I will accept fifty percent ownership in the Pirate's Republic as our share."

"Fifty-one percent ownership," Julia says.

"Shh." Jerry warns her. "You've been watching too many episodes of Shark Tank. You're not Mr. Wonderful."

"Fifty-percent," Roland counters

"Mmm..I wonder if those two FBI agents are still in the building?" Paco glances at Roland and rubs his chin.

"I'll give you equity in the apartment building." Roland says in a rush. "You already care of the whole property and you've been loyal to me all these years. I can finally have my distillery." He laughs with joy.

"Muchas Gracias." Paco beams with happiness.

"What about Blair?" I remind him. "She wants to be a fashion designer."

"I'm not a bank." Roland crosses his arms over his chest.

I stand in front of him with my hands on my hips.

"Alright, alright. I'll fund her fashion shows. She can hold them at the new distillery and the Pirate's republic. You're a ruthless pirate, Lizzie."

I rush over and hug Dylan. "He looks down at me and smiles. "She can also design your wedding gown with Julia, my little bad ass privateer."

He kisses me and I hear Mary Ormand's throaty laugh over the distant toll of the buoy fading in the distance.

Thank you, for reading. 🥥👻