chapter 2

I paddle hard as I take one last wave during my surf session with the pogues

I paddle hard as I take one last wave during my surf session with the pogues. I catch the wave and snapback on my board. It's a beautiful day out and the weather is warming up as summer begins. Me, Pope, John B, JJ, Sarah, and Kie all get to shore and put our boards on John B's porch. We're all dancing and drinking beers and I couldn't be in a better mood.

I check my phone, it's 3pm. Shit, I was supposed to be home 3 hours ago. I have a bad habit of losing track of time. I interrupt whatever Kie and JJ are bickering about to say, "Guys, I gotta go home my dads gonna fucking kill me."

"Ok see you tomorrow Byrd," John B says.
"Love you Jordy," Kie adds after.

Everyone says their goodbyes and JJ hugs me extra tight, since he can guess what I'll be going home to.

I get home and immediately run in the bathroom so I can shower while my dad isn't here. While I'm changing, I hear the door slam as he arrives home. I wince at the sound. I was hoping he had left early in the morning and wouldn't notice I came home late, but by the sound of the door slamming, I knew I wasn't so lucky. He bursts into my room and immediately the smell of alcohol fills my nostrils.

"You were supposed to be home hours ago you fucking idiot." The vein on his forehead is about to pop, and I knew what was coming.

"Do you know how disrespectful it is to blatantly ignore what I tell you to do you little bitch?" He was slurring his words at this point and I knew nothing I said would make a difference.

"I-Im sorry Dad I lost track of ti-"

I'm cut off by a burning sensation on my face. I touch my cheek and my fingers are covered in blood. God why the hell does he have to wear rings? I try my best not to cry but the tears come out anyways, only prompting another strike from my dad. Eventually he slams my door shut while cussing me out simultaneously. I cover my mouth so I can continue to cry silently. Walking over to my bathroom mirror, I see my swollen face and the black eye that is beginning to form on the left. I don't even take the time to clean my wounds before I grab my skateboard and quietly leave the house.

I put my headphones in and light the joint I had rolled earlier. I skate down my street and over a few blocks until I get to Barry's house. After tapping the excess off of my joint, I put it out and stuff it in my bag.

"Barry, you here?" I yell as I open his screen door. A few seconds later he comes out of his room, his head down, counting the wad of cash in his hands.

"Yo Keeks, what's good?" He replies, still looking down as he count his cash. Barry and his family are the only ones that call me Kiki or Keeks, my middle name. When I first bought from him in middle school I lied and told him my name was Kiki, but by the time I told him my real name it just stuck. Finally, he loses focus on the money in his hands and looks up at me to greet me. His face immediately drops when he sees my battered eye and cuts on my cheeks.