Chapter 2- Late night shift

'First week of working here and I've already been put on the night shift.'

You sighed irritably as you stood in the storage room of the Archgate building, organizing files in their appropriate cabinets and thinking to yourself internally while you did so. Being new to the company, you obviously weren't offered your desired position right away, and had to complete smaller tasks in order to prove that you were an efficient employee, capable of handling the tight deadlines that the animators had to follow.

And I guess those smaller tasks also included being striped of your sleep...

It was completely black outside, and the offices themselves were pretty dim with the poor lighting that overlooked each one. It was definitely unnerving at night. As far as you knew, you were the only one here, which made it even creepier as you traveled the halls to make sure everything was in order.

A monstrous thunderstorm had rolled in about an hour ago, after everyone had gone home for the night and left you with a few farewells. It was nice to know that most of the employees here were friendly towards you, but none of their words had prepared you for the chills that would soon creep up your spine as the world grew darker, and the booming thunder and lightning that made you jump out of your skin each time it flashed across the window panes with a roar.

'This night can't possibly get any worse, right?'

You shuddered as another growl of thunder disturbed the building, sliding a nearby file cabinet shut and going to pick up an unidentified folder from a small pile on the wooden table in the back of the storage room. Beside the pile of folders was a big computer called the Xerox Star.  (It's a real thing, and if you don't believe me, google it. Wack-ass name for a computer.)

It's database mainly consisted of, unsurprisingly, more files and records documenting the newly obtained ownership of Joey Drew Studios, and quite like the physical, paper files, it served the purpose of most archives alike.

The thought of Joey's old studio always blossomed your curiosity. You were pretty sure that old place was still standing somewhere, it's location unknown to you. Word about a new name being associated to the company was what had brought you here, as you yourself had a great interest in Joey's past work. If he were still alive, you would have gone to him directly rather than Mr. Arch.

You broke out of your thoughts and paused with a new folder in your hands, glancing at the small pile that had yet to be put away. It would have looked like a simple task if there wasn't a bigger pile sitting right behind it, beaming as though it was reminding you not to get your hopes up too high.

'The sooner I get this done, the sooner I can leave.'

You backed away from the table and looked down at the tab on the folder in your possession, finding that it had the letter B written on it. Using this information, you walked over to a specific cabinet in the room, as though you were on auto pilot, and opened the top drawer. This drawer was labeled, A-B.

You quickly flipped through the contents of the open drawer and slipped the folder into its rightful place, sliding it shut and going back to the table to repeat the process. You had been required to memorize where everything was located in this room, so it was almost instinctual when you read the label of the folders and decided where it was supposed to go.

'On second thought, I might finish quicker than I expected...'

____

'3:15 am.'