CHAPTER 41

*THUMP

The loud sound that sounded in the Director's office, the meeting between his palm and the table, did not make the doctor who stood opposite him even flinched. Instead, the doctor who had come after he was called looked at him sharply and expressionlessly.

"What are you doing? Inoperative? And you dare to perform surgery without my permission!" Director Jong Ki's exclamation continued with a loud banging sound on his desk. His face was a little red due to anger. But the older man immediately took a deep breath to calm himself down.

"Even if it happened again, my decision is unchangeable. Besides, the patient wanted Dr. Hye Eun Kim to do the operation. Not me," Luciel replied in an even and quite calm tone. He paused for a moment before answering another question, "If I didn't save Dr. Kim, the patient's wish would never come true."

"It's not yours to decide!" The director immediately replied to Luciel's answer in a voice that was still loud but not as loud as before.

"Mrs. Mi Kyung Kim's operating schedule should be postponed," Luciel was not affected by the Director's sarcasm and instead said something else.

"What?" The director was a little lost with the suddenly changing-topic rapidly.

"It was good Dr. Hye Eun Kim collapsed. She will be back in 10 days," Luciel still didn't answer the Director's remarks and gave him information about the state of the primary surgeon who should perform operations on patients according to the patient's wishes. He stared fixedly at Director Jong Ki who started to follow the direction of this conversation. The look behind his eyes made Luciel furrow his brows. "You knew the patient's cancer had not become smaller yet, don't you?" Luciel questioned what he could see flashing through the Director's eyes.

Director Jong Ki did not cover it up. Even though he didn't voice the answer to Luciel's question, his facial expression and the meaning of his gaze had become the answer so Luciel asked further, "So why didn't you let them postpone it?" If it was true that the Director already knew, why didn't he postpone it? Director Jong Ki did not answer.

The brain wheel inside Luciel's head spun. For once, the wheel was turning hard for something unrelated to the disease, diagnosis, surgery, or techniques. Something unrelated to medicine that he rarely mentioned to others before. In the next instant, Luciel's eyes twinkled with suspicion. With a bit of hesitation, Luciel voiced his suspicions, "Is it because... they're from a remote area?"

"Do you think this hospital is a charity?" Finally, after Luciel questioned his guess, Director Jong Ki answered by raising his left eyebrow.

"What?" Luciel was taken aback by the Director's answer who answered his question with a question he didn't expect.

Director Jong Ki leaned back in his chair and spread his hands with palms facing the ceiling before replying to Luciel, "If it was not because their village mayor contacted our mayor, I would never accept them. They cannot effort the cost. The major even asked us to let them use our advanced equipment and everything here free of charge. As a good citizen and a good connection, he said. If everyone likes that, it is surely a great loss for us. Our room, operation schedule. Our resources will be wasted. We could allocate it to the profitable one."