Epilogue Part 1

The fireplace crackled, as the burning wood threw off more than enough heat to keep Zero and I comfortable under the quilt that was spread out over us on the big leather sectional couch. We were just north of Vancouver, British Columbia, living on a large ranch owned by a large group of celebrities that had been built over the last ten years or so just for this. A home for clones. Most importantly, one without an electric fence!

Zendaya, who had funded Zero in her mission, was one of those owners, as were many others that had their DNA stolen from them in order to make additional clones. While they had been stopped in their effort to contact the clones and give them options in the past, they were now resorting to more drastic measures. Many of the clones were adults now and could make their own decisions when presented with alternatives to what had been forced upon them, and most were taking advantage of that.

Our school had contained the youngest of the clones, and we were the most vulnerable of the clones. Luckily, to the world we were all 'dead' while instead we were all living happily in small cabin style houses or apartments on the ranch, and we were happy to stay that way.

I could have picked an apartment, but I wanted time with Zero, and this had been her cabin before she came to rescue me. I was much happier sharing it than having my own room in the dorm style apartments. I'd lived in isolation for my whole life, and now I never wanted to be away from the warmth of this woman, so I would follow her anywhere.

"When do I get to take you to dinner?" I murmured into Zero's ear, making her gasp as my lips grazed over her earlobe.

"Are you sure you want to go out into the cold?" she wondered. "Wasn't a dip in the freezing river enough? Maybe we should just have dinner delivered here instead."

I thought about that for a moment. I hadn't explored the entire cabin in the few days that I'd been here, but I knew enough about the layout that what she suggested would work for my purposes. "Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Can we get some more filet mignon to eat?"

"Of course! Whatever my beautiful girlfriend wants."

Yeah, I might have asked her to be my girlfriend while we lay shivering under the blankets on the boat. There was no way I was waiting another second after all that we'd been through. I know that a lot of the girls that had been together in the school had done the same thing, with the majority asking the other while we were on the chartered plane out of Albany up to Vancouver, and the rest doing it when the reality of being free in another country set in. Needless to say, a lot of them were sharing rooms right now. It had become a noisy ranch, though thankfully there was usually a chill breeze that dampened the sound of the many noises from extracurricular activities.

Activities that Zero and I had yet to partake in, much to my chagrin.

But I had hopes of changing that!

"Okay, I'll order dinner," I told her. "But you have to wait in the bedroom until I call you. You're not allowed to peek. If I'm making this into a dinner date, then you have to be surprised!"

She smiled down at me, using her height to an advantage, and then nodded happily. "It will be as my princess desires."

Oh, she should have never said that before finding out what desert was, because I wanted her to eat every drop of it! Or perhaps I would!

Once Zero headed upstairs, I made my call. Much like the cafeteria back at school, they had a great selection of chefs and food types here. It didn't hurt that they were funded by many time millionaires, as well as people donating time and resources to have built the ranch. I knew exactly what I wanted and hung up with a smile when they confirmed they could do it.