Chapter 6: The Narukamuni Shrine and Euthymia

When Lilith reaches the Narukamuni shrine, she takes little time to take in the scenery. It's time to get down to business. What better place to go in search of Ei then the place harboring the very entity she created? Or at the very least, someone who goes by the same name- Yae Miko. Either the Kitsune Guuji of the Narukamuni shrine is THE Yae Miko, or at the very least someone who knows her.

Lilith traces her hand along the chipping crimson red paint on the railing of the spiraling walkway up to the central shrine, her mind filled with memories of her time spent with Makoto that make her wince, torn about her inability to protect those she held dearest to her heart. She supposes she's not so different from Morax herself. After all, they both know the pain of grief, and the agony, guilt, and bling rage that follow. Simply one had something left to cling to, Ei, in her case, that kept them from tipping of the edge.

Before she noticed, she's already reached the top of the stairs, and stands below the red arch that serves as an entrance to the sacred shrine.

"Excuse me," Lilith asks a woman with short black hair and the uniform of a shrine maiden, "do you know where Yae Miko might be? The leading shrine maiden?"

"Silence," says the woman calmly, "don't interfere with the sacred offering of the Narukamuni shrine of quelling the Shogun's rage."

Lilith watches the maiden continue to perform a sacred dance of warding, her fist clenching in frustration.

She walks down the pathway and towards another woman at what looks to be a fortune telling booth, leaning on the rail of the stall.

"Would you happen to know the whereabouts of the head shrine maiden?" Lilith asks with a hitch in her voice, "I need to see her urgently."

"Are you drawing the fortune slip or not?" Quips Gendo Ringo, "I'm not waiting all day."

Now, Lilith's eyes are full on twitching in annoyance, but she manages to bring her quivering hand to the fortune slip box rather than send it flying towards the maidens face. At least fortune slips are fun and all, it can't hurt.

Lilith unfolds the slip and reads it out loud, "Great Misfortune. A day spent feeling empty inside can lead to a profound sense of powerlessness. The problems you face are defying your- oh what the hell is this shit?"

Lilith tosses the slip to the ground in frustration, truly ready to send a kick towards the next person who comes into her field of view.

"Prick," she mutters, glaring at Gendo Ringo who only smirks in return.

As Lilith storms out of the shrine, she runs into a woman with flowing coral pink hair, an elegantly adorned shrine maiden uniform, and telltale fox ears. Yae Miko.

"And who might you be?" Yae Miko says with a light laugh, "I don't believe I've seen you around here..."

"Ah, you're Yae Miko, correct?" I ask her with a cautious gaze, "I'm Lilith Myra, a friend of Ei. You're her summon, correct?"

"Oh?" Yae asks with a slight slant of her eyes, "are you truly Lilith Myra? Aren't you the one who started the war against our nation? Why should I have any inclination to believe a word you say?"

"What?" asks Lilith, flustered and frustrated, "no, you see, I didn't do that! That was Tsaritsa, I'd never! I simply want to help Ei, same as you!"

Yae let's out a chuckle as she smiles, extending her hand towards Lilith, "Sorry, sorry, I'm messing with you. I was just checking."

"Oh," Lilith replies bluntly, taking her hand. At this point her eye is practically watering with the amount of twitching it's doing, and she can't help but wonder, what on Earth is wrong with these shrine maidens?