The Second War

A week after they had found out about the beginning of the war between the kingdom of King Ethbaal, it was time for the Royal Decree to be fulfilled, as it was written, if they decline they will be flogged.

"As for our law, it is written that flogging should only be used to immensely hurt someone," said the Chief. "This punishment is not to kill. I repeat, we do not kill in this punishment."

"Yeah, yeah!" jeered one of the floggers. "Just get on with it, Chief! How many times can we flog these fools."

"Fools?!" said Cole, aghast. "We are no fools!"

"Are you sure about that?" chuckled the flogger, once again. "If we were the fools, then shouldn't we be the ones taking this punishment? But from what I see, you two are the ones doing it."

Cole scowled at him.

"SILENCE!" yelled the Chief. "No jeering, taking, sneering, or blaspheming in the courtyard. As for the number of flogs, each takes twenty four, twelve on the back and twelve on the front. I will be counting the number of times you do it."

"Yes, Sir!" chorused the two floggers. "Who shall we get first?"

"Anyone,"

"Then I shall choose the Qu-" began the first flogger.

"Wait!" yelled Cole, interrupting the flogger. "Can I just take the punishment? Instead of it being twenty four for me, uh, make it forty eight! Twenty four on each side? Just please don't punish Vania."

"Sir Cole, are you sure about that?" asked the Chief. "Forty eight times of being flogged can lead to certain problems."

"Eh, don't worry about it, Chief," said a voice suddenly. "It is his choice. If he wants to take Vania's punishment unto himself, let him be."

Herod Abimelech, the man who brought the couple, Cole and Vania, was suddenly in the court. His whole face and body relaxed, as if he was actually enjoying this moment.

"If you say so," nodded the Chief. "Your Royal Highness, please step back, your husband just took the punishment that belongs to you."

"NO!" protested Vania. "Why does he have to take twice as much as he was only supposed to get? It's just so unfair!"

"He brought it to himself," reminded Herod. "Now get going! It's time for your beloved husband to be punished."

So the flogger began his job. Midway through, while he was starting to begin the back side, he heard Cole groan.

"I still don't understand why, though," said Cole, painfully coughing, clutching his lower abdomen. "What did I do so wrong that I have to get punished like this? I only wanted to protect my daughter."

Vania felt horrible as she watched Cole get hit, and when she heard what he had said, her heart broke.

"Zip it," hissed the flogger.

After the last few flogs, Cole was ready to get back to the castle, but while he was walking towards the car, his back and stomach was hurting him so much that he could not even bear to drive all the way to Shintaro.

"I'll drive," said Vania, helping Cole get in the passenger's seat. "Then once we get back, I'll get those wounds binded up."

"Uh-huh," groaned Cole, who did not feel like talking.

Vania drove towards Shintaro, and when the guards saw the look and the small blood stains on Cole's shirt, front and back, they immediately called for medical assistance.

"Let's get you on the bed," said Vania.

Once Cole was safely put on the bed, each of the medical assistants put some healing oil on each of his wounds. He would wince in pain as they would touch his scars.