CHAPTER 2

I woke up to the sound of Elder Cunningham's voice in my ear, as he shook me. I sat up, looking around in a daze, "Where are we?" I mumbled, looking out the window and seeing desert. Cunningham looked at me happily, "We're in Uganda, friend!" He said excitedly, holding a camera in his hand, recording everything. I stood from my seat, stretching slightly as I grabbed my things. Cunningham and I then left the bus, the heat of the sun scorching us right away. 

After some time walking, we finally came across a small village, people walking around in old, dirty clothes, and their skin glistening with sweat. Two men walked up to us, after Cunningham started narrating his recordings. 

"What have we here? Hm.. maybe, German? British-" One exclaimed, before the other snickered, "American..." 

I looked at the two nervously, Cunningham walking around recording, "Uh.. Hello Sir, we're- uh.. we're here to see Mr. Mafala Hatimbi?" I said, stuttering softly. Without hesitation, nor reply, they took Cunningham and I's bags, opening them and scanning through them, "Sir... Sir- we don't have anything illegal in there, we're- we're from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints...?" The man looking through our bags stood up, pulling out a gun, "I'd shut the fuck up.. unless you want to die." I stood there in shock, but said nothing else. They eventually took our luggage and left, leaving Cunningham and I frozen in fear.

Moments later, a more... happy man ran up to us, introducing himself as Mafala, the one we had originally been looking for. After some time of talking about or journey over, Mafala introduced us to his daughter, Nabulungi, who took us to our small huts, to meet our other missionary partners. 

Elder Cunningham and I walked into the hut, "Hello?" I asked softly, and five men walked out of a room, chatting to themselves, and acting excited, "The new recruits are here!" One of them, a redhead, said. He walked up to me, and gave me his hand to shake, "Welcome.. my name is Elder McKinley, the current district leader for this area of the Uganda mission." He said, smiling especially at me. He then went down the list of the other Mormons, which, I have to say.. it'll be hard to remember the names. 

One of them, Elder 'Poptarts', sat us down, and they talked about their time in Uganda so far, which, made me confused.. they haven't baptized a single person yet. When I told them I was confused at the situation, they.. laughed.

"Well, that's fine Elder, we were all confused at first! Just.. turn it off." Elder McKinley smiled at me, to which I furrowed my eyebrows, but nodded. The Elders just seemed too friendly, which, that's how we're trained, but it made me uneasy, "Well, thank you Elders... I suppose I should go to bed now..I'm exhausted." I said, and stood up, Elder McKinley doing the same, "I'll show you to your room-" He smiled, although the room was in the hallway next to us. 

McKinley showed me to my room, and sat down on the bed next to mine, "You know.. you'll get used to being here, it's not so bad, the Elders make it bearable." He said, and that's the first time I've seen him serious, but then he smiled, "I've heard a lot of great things about you, Elder Price.. Hope you can turn this around for us... I'm really glad you're here." He smiled, and left with a small fluttery smile, leaving me to my sleep.