Do I know you?

*reader's disclaimer advised, there are scenes that have violence *

I still can't forget that day, it comes back every night in my dreams and sometimes in front of me during the day. Let me share my burden with you, my reader, so here goes nothing.

Going school every day was the best part of my day. If the day did not include school, it would feel incomplete and boring, because going to school meant that I could meet my bestie of thirteen years every single day. We went to the same preschool, elementary school, middle school and now we were together in the same high school. If either of us did not come we had to compensate by meeting at the common park and talk about what the issue was, if either of us was sick our parents knew that it was priority that we find out about it the very instant. We knew each other like a book, never did we ever get confused while getting something for each other or understanding an expression, we both knew what we wanted, liked and needed.

People said we had a friendship of titanium, unbreakable. We were sixteen years old this year and our birthday was just a day apart, hers was on the 27th of March and mine was on the 28th. Her name, Sophia and mine, Sophie. Sophia's father was one of the richest in town, her parents absolutely loved her, although she had a little bit of temper, she was a sweetheart.

We were in the second year of high school and things were going amazing, both our grades were up and we had nothing to worry about. Sophia had a boyfriend, they had started to date just a couple months ago and I didn't understand why she was still with him, I mean she complained about him every day and I was tired of telling her to let it go. Her boyfriend was one of the popular kids of the school, the one boy everyone wanted. At school it never appeared or looked like they were having a hard time, for the first time I couldn't understand the situation my bestie was in, I was totally lost.

One day she came and told me that her parents were going out and was inviting her boyfriend over to her place to stay, she told me that she had permission of her parents and that everything had been planned. I still could not understand what their status was. I asked her if she was sure about this and she said that she was perfectly happy and content with it, so, since she was happy about it, I didn't question it and moved on from it. She went home with him that day and just like that they were living together for a couple of weeks.

I remember, it was a week after that on a Tuesday morning; Sophia came to school really upset. I had never seen her this upset in a while now and she was on the verge of crying. I proceeded to ask her what the problem was and she burst into tears telling me how ridiculous and not understanding her boyfriend was, apparently he hit her on the hand during an argument over clothes. You read it right CLOTHES!! . I was utterly dismayed and could not understand why someone would hit the other over something so small, in the first place no one should hit anyone. Furthermore I was still puzzled as to why they were still together. I told her to break up and leave him, it was only going to get worse from here, he was with her for the money and fame, nothing else was his concern or at least that's what he sounded like, he never had a good reputation either. The very moment I told her that, she told me that she is willing to give him another chance, just one last chance and if it did not work out it would be over for him.

I was so mad at her, for not listening to me and not thinking about herself, I just did not know how and why this was happening, what he could have told for her to be this way, it felt like he was making use of her kindness. I could not take it anymore, so, I confronted him, I asked him "what is your problem? What are you doing to Sophia? Why are you treating her this way?" and he replied with "Me? I am treating her bad? Who are you to interfere? What do you even know? I never knew a girl could do what she did! , a 'girl' I did not know anyone could do what she does! , she should be grateful that am still tolerating her, she never respects me or treats me well, she wants me to understand her instantly, how is that even possible? "to which i said " she is the kindest and sweetest person I know! you cannot talk about her like that!", "then why don't you live with her and take care of her, or even better, DATE HER!!" I almost slapped him, but gained control and stormed off.