Secrets and Soda Pop

Mark had a much easier time making it to the Secret Keeper's Hideout than the other kids of the Creek. It helped that his legs were longer, and he was much, much older. So he had made a habit of trekking a 2 liter bottle of soda to the hollowed out, uprooted willow tree well...kind of a lot. Usually to bitch about unpopular anime opinions to a small boy who had no idea what he was talking about but today-

"...I have a secret..."

Today he really did.

"Oh, you again. Back so soon?" The much smaller, much younger, boy greeted him with a yawn and a glazed over look in his eye as he parted the willow branches. Not even trying to hide his disinterest from Elder Mark this time. "Well, come on in, you know the way." The elementary schooler had the audacity to roll his eyes at him. But Mark swallowed his pride and stormed inside the little twerp's "office" with the bottle under his arm. As he plopped his butt into the pool floatie, his gangly legs dangling over the edge just to fit inside, the Secret Keeper gingerly plucked the bottle from his sweaty, unpolished fingers.

"So what can I help you with today, Elder Mark? Did you get into a fight with a stranger on the internet over the cartoon shovel again?"
"No..." Mark huffed, even though yes, for the record. He had. "And Gorobi-Chan isn't a 'cartoon' it's-"

"Yes, yes, an anime. So you've explained to me. Well, if that's not it, then what's troubling you, Great Elder? Still having those dreams about Elder David? Or was it Elder Barry...? My apologizes, I mix you Elders up sometimes-"

Mark coughed, choking on his own spit. His face so red it matched his signature cape.

"Alright, alright, alright! Stop guessing! Jeeze, that was like...one time...this week..."

...stupid David...invading his dreams.

"Aww boo...I like those secrets." The Secret Keeper smirked over the lip of the now uncapped bottle of soda, before taking a large swig.

Alright, this was getting creepy. As Mark stood up to leave, the Secret Keeper tugged on his cape.

"Wait, wait...I'm only teasing, Elder. You know this is a judgement free zone. Please sit."

Mark did, but not because a dumb baby told him to. He crossed his arms and huffed.

"Why don't you tell me why you came here? I can only help you if you tell me." The Secret Keeper gestured for Mark to begin while taking another sip of soda pop.

Mark sighed, sinking into the floatie. He opened and closed his mouth several times. The secret was bubbling in his stomach and rising up in his throat like bile, but still he couldn't seem to just...puke it out. Like bile.

Why was this so hard?!

"I haven't...actually said this out loud yet. Give me a minute?"

The Secret Keeper perked up at that. Oh? This sounded like a VERY juicy secret, for once!

"Take all the time you need, Elder. I'll be ready to listen when you're ready to share."

Mark took a deep breath and screwed his eyes shut, before ripping off the proverbial band-aid.

"Sometimes...not...all the time, but...sometimes...when I'm alone in my room at night...I-I...Iliketodressuplikeagirl..."

The secret keeper just blinked at him.

"...come again? I didn't quite catch that last part. Slower please."
"...you heard me..."

"Elder Mark - this is a safe space." Secret Keeper gestured to 99 empty bottles of pop on the wall - lining the inside of his secret hideout. All of them holding the secrets of different creek kids inside. "Whatever it is, you know I won't tell a soul. I'm the Secret Keeper! Not the Secret...Giver-Away...er..." The Secret Keeper cringed at his own turn of phrase, before taking a large gulp of soda.