Sleep-Overs, Make-Outs and Make-Overs Part 2

The sounds of Sailor Moon fighting evil by moonlight (and winning love by daylight) continued to fill the bedroom as David gently twist and pulled Mark's hair, before snapping elastic into place.

The silence they shared was mostly comfortable. Mostly. Like lying in a soft warm bed but then your leg falls asleep. Something unsaid was nagging at them both, like pins and needles. And as much as Mark would like try and ignore it...

"...this is...nice..."

Eventually you gotta make a move. And David never was very good at staying still.

"...what's nice, David?" Mark asked, despite her better judgement, while pausing the classic anime mid "monster of the week" battle.

"Hanging out...you know...just the two of us. Without the Creek Kids or even Barry. I can't remember the last time we did this..." David trailed off, while brushing and twisting her hair. He bit his lip as if he was trying to bite back this next part. But as he released his lower lip from his buckteeth, the words spilled out of him. "...not since Winter Break..."

Mark suddenly sat up, yanking her hair by the root still in David's hand.

"Ow!"

"S-sorry!"

David relaxed his grip on her hair and she sank back down in the bed. She sucked in a big gulp of air as the realization hit her like a foam sword to the face.

She couldn't run away. Not this time. After nearly 6 months of avoiding the subject all together...they were going to have to talk about it.

The kiss.

"...Daviiiiid-!" She whined, wishing the bed could just swallow her whole right now so she could get out of this awkward conversation...and the 'let's just be friends' that would surely follow.

"Maaaark..." David whined back, before setting down the hairbrush and fidgeting with a spare elastic hair tie nervously. Bracing himself for "it was just practice" and "it didn't mean anything."

But it DID mean something to David. It meant everything! And he had to say something.

"...why don't you ever wanna talk about it? Was it that...bad?"

David said that last part so quietly, Mark almost didn't catch it. Almost.

She swallowed around the 12-sided die sized lump in her throat. Because she couldn't let David go around thinking the single greatest thing that had ever happened to her in her whole stupid life was bad.

"It wasn't bad, David..."

"Because that was my first time, I'll get better with practice-!"

"It wasn't BAD!" Mark rushed to reassure him. "It was...good, David. You're good...REALLY good..." She coughed, turning her head. She couldn't look him in the eye anymore. It was like staring into the sun. "...I'm sorry I made you think I didn't like it. I did...like it, I mean. I liked it a lot. I like...YOU...a lot..."

She mentally rolled for the strength or charisma to look at him again. But it was a critical fail. She couldn't. She just couldn't.

And so she missed the goofy bucktooth smile stretching across David's adorable face.

"But I was...scared, David." She continued, balling the fabric of her Slide the Ferret pajama pants in her fists. "I was figuring myself out and I just...didn't want you to reject me."

"...why would I reject you?" David asked earnestly, forcing Mark to finally look up to find David staring at her - cocking his head like a labradoodle. With those big puppy dog eyes.