ELEVEN

"This kinda talk will lead us to somewhere; we're getting way too close to going there..."
- George Strait; We Really Shouldn't Be Doing This

The car ride back to the hotel seemed a lot longer than the one that morning. Amber was so tired, she thought she could pass out, but she wasn't about to fall asleep sitting next to Jeff.

"You did great," he reassured her.

She had mixed feelings about the interview. She hadn't been prepared for a lot of the questions that had been thrown at her, but at least the interviewer had been polite and somewhat interested in her music.

"Hmm," she sounded, her head against the back of the seat. "I don't know. I guess I wasn't ready for the personal questions."

"You did exactly what you're supposed to do. You were vague without seeming closed off. You gave them just enough. Remember, you don't owe anyone anything more than what you're willing to give."

Amber sighed. "That's what my mom says."

"Smart lady," remarked Jeffrey. "It's what I remind Harry, too."

"Yeah? I've heard he's the king of avoiding questions."

Jeff chuckled, "Well, he was in the biggest pop band in the world, you know. Those guys were media trained."

"Yeah," Amber mused. "I sometimes forget that. He seems so grounded and remains very genuine. He could have very easily turned into an asshole."

Her manager was quiet for a moment before he said, "You like Harry a lot, don't you?"

"Who doesn't?" Amber turned her head and smiled. "You know, I don't get on social media much, but Clare and I went to a bookstore the other day, and I saw five magazines with him on the cover. FIVE! He's a huge deal."

Jeff gave a small smirk. "That's not what I mean."

"What did you mean?"

"I see you two together a lot. Even during off time."

"Well, yeah," Amber confirmed. "We've become good friends."

"Maybe something more?"

Twisting her hands in her lap, Amber felt her face get warm.

"Are you wanting me to admit I have a crush on him?"

"Is that what it is?"

"Well...yeah. I guess."

"Alright," nodded Jeff as he sat back. He seemed to be content with her response, and Amber was happy to drop the subject.

The car pulled up in front of the hotel, and they walked together to the elevators. It stopped on the second floor, surprising them both when the doors opened to a sweaty Harry standing before them.

"Speak of the devil," chuckled Jeffrey.

"You were talking about me?" he asked, stepping onto the lift and greeting Amber.

"Only in passing."

"How was the interview?" asked Harry.

"Pretty good, I guess," shrugged Amber. "How was the workout?"

"Wonderful."

Amber didn't miss the look on Jeff's face as he was obviously reading the expressions and body language. Suddenly self-conscious, Amber took a step back from Harry.

"So how's it feel to be back in Nashville?" he asked her. "Does it feel like forever ago that we met?"

Amber's heart beat faster in her chest at the words "we met." She hoped Jeff didn't notice.