48 - Bad Decisions

Jungkook

"How long do we need to wait? I feel so guilty." she puts her hands on her hips, then back again in her pockets. Doesn't wait long and takes them out, hugging herself.

Fucking cute.

"Patience, love," I say calmly and check the time.

It's 8:36. Her schedule starts at nine sharp, and judging by her habits, she'd always go a little earlier and arrive at the office around 8:50. Which means that, theoretically, she'd be on the bus right now unless something else happened.

Poor baby lacks the skills of a pathological liar, and if you want to be credible, there is a particular guideline you need to act on. Those stupid standard policies and procedures every employee has to respect require you to announce your sick leave in the early morning.

But we want this to look like an accident. Not like we planned it the night before.

So, we will wait until her supposed arrival. Her manager knows she's punctual. When she doesn't show up at the office, he will think it's weird, especially since she's a two-goody-shoes, and would do anything to let him know beforehand.

Too bad I'm the mastermind, and I have no intention of following his rules.

"I don't understand why you are the one calling him," she gesticulates nervously.

"Because if you call, it will take you less than two seconds to expose yourself," I rub her shoulders and kiss her forehead, "Babe, you are insanely smart. But not when it comes to lying."

"I will kindly take offense on that," she breathes loudly, and I laugh.

"Feel free to do so. In the meantime," I recheck the time and see it's 8:58, "You can wait for me in the car. I have a phone call to make."

"No, no, Jeon. I'm not going anywhere."

"Are you sure?" I cackle, anticipating how mad she'll get.

"Yes, yes. Just call him."

God, she will be so mad. I can already see it. But if we want this to be plausible, we need to do it my way, and giving uncomfortable and too many unrequired details, is the perfect recipe.

I grab her phone, unlock it, and scroll through her contact list. I giggle darkly once I see 'The Brazilian despot,' and without waiting any longer, I press the call button. Faye is breathing hard, trying to keep herself occupied by inspecting her fingernails and chewing on her cuticles.

Doesn't take more than two long rings, and her manager answers with a cold statement of 'Ebner, you're late. This better is good.'

Don't worry, boss. It is.

"Good morning, sir. Sorry to disappoint, but this is not Ebner. I'm Jungkook, her boyfriend."