The selfish

For Jake, his childhood had been totally normal. He knew who his father was. And he knew who he was. Because he would visit them when he was little. His mother and his father were a couple.
The story was that his mother worked for his grandparents. It was there that his parents met. But his father was married. Recently married, to be more exact.
Oh, what a face Nathan Donfort had to fall in love with another woman when he was already beginning his life. And his mother knew perfectly well, but did she care? Of course not. She was happy that Nathan was paying attention to her, buying her jewelry, a car, and a house, from another separate bank account of his' wife, which she knew nothing about, poor thing.
Jake was the first son to be born and the one who was proud to give him his last name.

Every three months he saw his father. The poor boy was deceived by saying that he was on a business trip, which is why he was not at home so much. But in reality, he was going to his other house, with his other wife, with his second baby: Hannah.
Jake was a happy boy, with a loving father and mother, away from all those lies that were hidden from him. His only condition was that he should not say who his father really was. It was a bit strange, but the boy was obedient, he never denied his parents anything. They put him in a good school with good teachers. He was the darling of the Donfort family. And he didn't even know his grandparents. It was a small world of his mother, his sometimes absent father and him.

But... Everything came with a price, right?

Jake's mother died when he was twelve years old. The boy thought that then his father would spend more time with him. And what happened? He abandoned him. In a foster home.
Every month he sent him money so that he could at least continue his studies.
Jake felt lonely and couldn't stand it. He needed to know what was going on.

And he found out. Thanks to the fact that his interest in computers had been born years ago, he had learned how to locate a phone.

He came to Duskwood when he was fourteen years old, looking for his father's house. His joy flooded his face, seeing him leave his house.
He was going to run towards him, but stopped when he saw some girls coming out of the house.
Nathan lifted a little girl, with blond hair, in his arms, while the older one, with a reddish brown color, complained about him so that he should also lift her.
A woman came out of the house, laughing. Then she kissed his father. He couldn't see the logic for it.

He continued to follow him to his workplace, where he waited for him to come out for a moment and approached him.
Obviously, Nathan freaked out and had to yell at him. Then he used soft words, explaining that yes, he had another family and his mother knew about it. But it was all normal. There was nothing wrong with having had that little lie, that he could be with two people at the same time, that he missed his mother... And that he felt that he couldn't be with him, but he couldn't let his family know about him.
Clearly, he had lived with it his entire life. So he wasn't going to complain. But he hated him just for abandoning him, for not welcoming him into his family.

At first, he wanted to tell Hannah who he was, hurt her like he'd been hurt, but he was afraid his father would be mad at him. But that wasn't it either. He couldn't tell her because he really liked Hannah. And she was a very good friend. And he didn't feel alone anymore. He had known someone important in his family.

Ah... But Hannah didn't know who he was... Which caused him to cut ties when he saw that she was starting to take an interest in him in a rather romantic way. He couldn't continue talking to her, it was too uncomfortable.

And that was when he was alone again. Continuing to study for a good position in the government, in charge of the FBI. At a fairly young age. Younger than anyone who worked there. And, he met Katherine. A couple of dates, a few chats, and they started dating seriously, marrying three years later.