CHAPTER TWELVE

"Why did you do it, Heng? Why now?" Freen keeps on punching Heng's chest while he's hugging her though she's resistant.

I lower my head since they don't know that I'm here. Freen called for me early this morning because she said that they have a photoshoot today, but the rumor spread like wildfire.

Someone posted a photo of Heng last night with an unknown personality. They are kissing in that picture, and the reporters are trying to get Freen's reaction. That's why they hide inside the office.

"Freen! This is the first you got jealous!" Heng yells at her when he gets irritated at Freen's hand. He grabs them and puts them behind him, causing them to embrace. "Why are you acting this way? We're not married!"

"So, what am I to you? You can go out with other girls while I stay home waiting for my boyfriend to get home?" Freen uses all her strength to push Heng, and she succeeds. "You know how much I hate rumors!"

Heng pulls Freen again for a hug, making me lower my head even more. I turn around and leave the room to lessen the pain I'm feeling now.

Yesterday, Freen and I happily watched the sunset, but now she's crying because she discovered Heng had an affair. She told me she didn't know how to love, yet she was hurting.

What am I to you, too, Freen? You will find me when Heng is not around, but when he comes, I'm a mere employee to you. I am precious when he's away, but when he's here, you can't see me.

"Betty!" I hear Freen from behind, so I turn around. She grabs my hand and pulls me to the parking lot. She makes me enter the car and drives off.

I don't know where we are going, but I follow her. She stops at the front of our house, causing me to look at her. She is still sobbing while her head is leaning on the steering wheel. I caress her back, and she suddenly buries her face in my neck.

"You love him, Freen. You do love him," I say in a shallow voice.

"No. I don't care how many girls he wants to taste. All I care about is our reputation as a couple. I've worked hard to get to this stage. I won't let him pull me down."

That's when I realize that Freen isn't in love with Heng. She only cares about her reputation.

Should I be happy? Or should I be sad because she thinks about her career more than her love life?

"Becky? Freen?" My mom knocks on the car window, causing us to sit properly.

Freen opens the car door and goes outside, so I follow her. Mom immediately wipes her tears and hugs her to comfort her—my heart warms which reflects into a smile. They look like a mother-daughter.

"I heard what happened. Calm down. You need to take a rest. I cooked something inside. Do you want to eat?" mom asks sweetly, and she nods.

Mom motions for me to follow her as they enter the house. I nod and join too. My mother prepares the dining table and lets Freen eats to her stomach's content. She is smiling from ear to ear while watching her.

"I have to go. Becky, take care of Freen, okay? I'll be home tomorrow."

I nod at my mother and see her off. I wave at her, and she waves back. When she finally drives off. A pair of hands snake around my waist, and a chin leans on my shoulder.

"I've never felt this special before. Thank you, Betty."

I roll my eyes and turn my back to face her. I cup her cheeks and gently squeeze them.

"How many times do I have to tell you that it's Becky?" I ask.

"Three."

We both laugh when she answers. I don't know if she's right, but I don't care. I am glad to have her by my side today.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

"You didn't tell me you have this tasty vodka here!"

I woke up in the middle of the night because of Freen's scream from the living room. What the heck is she doing at this hour?

My eyes widened when I saw her carrying a bottle of vodka in her hands, and she was sitting comfortably on the couch.

I immediately grabbed the bottle in her hands and squinted at her. I was startled when she grabbed my waist, causing me to get on top of her. She reeked of alcohol. Damn it.

"Why did you drink it?" I asked.

I wasn't comfortable in our position, so I tried to stand up, but she tightened her grip, making me groan.

"What do you want?" I asked again.

"You. I want you, Becky," she whispers in my ear seductively.

I felt an enticing sensation run down my body, making me shiver.

This doesn't seem right. Freen is drunk, and I shouldn't take advantage of her.

I removed her hands from me and sat properly beside her. Freen's face was red, and I could say she had been drinking for a while now. I cupped her face and kissed her forehead gently.

"As much as I want to do nasty things with you, I can't. I want to take care of you. I love you, Freen."

I know she wouldn't remember this tomorrow, so I dare to tell her all.

I was startled when she leaned in for a quick kiss and faked a smile.

"I wish I could love you as much as you love me, Becky."

Those were her final words before she fell asleep.

A solemn tear fell from my eye, but I chose to smile.

"It's okay. You don't have to force yourself to love someone you can't," I whisper.

a/n: I can't update tomorrow because I have a quiz, but I'll try. Goodnight, love lots!