Echoes In The Dark

In the year 2157, space travel had become as common as car rides

In the year 2157, space travel had become as common as car rides. Yet, deep in the vast expanse of space, an old mining ship, the SS Volantis, floated abandoned. Rumors of the ship's haunting deterred many from venturing near it. That was until Lance Hendrix, a daring entrepreneur, assembled a crew of four to clear out and clean up the ship, hoping to repurpose it for a lucrative venture.

Lance's crew consisted of Greyson, an experienced technician; Fabian, a skilled engineer; Freya, a fearless security officer; and Lucia, an advanced female android with advanced AI capabilities. As their small shuttle, the S-34, approached the SS Volantis, a sense of unease washed over the team.

"Look at that old beast," Fabian muttered, gazing at the hulking mass of metal. "It's like a floating graveyard."

Lucia chimed in, her voice eerily calm, "We are here to bring life back to this vessel. There is nothing to fear."

Lance steadied his voice, "Alright, team. Let's suit up and get to work."

As the crew boarded the SS Volantis, the ship groaned, echoing through the dark corridors. The stale air felt heavy, weighed down by decades of untouched memories. The dim emergency lights flickered, casting eerie shadows along the walls.

Greyson led the team, with his equipment scanner in hand. "Lance, it looks like the main generator is offline. I'll need to get it back up and running."

"Alright, Greyson," Lance replied, "Fabian, you're with Greyson. Freya, Lucia, and I will begin the assessment of the mining equipment."

The crew split up, Greyson and Fabian heading towards the generator room, while the others ventured deeper into the ship. As they walked, a cold draft sent shivers down their spines.

"Do you feel that?" Freya asked, rubbing her arms.

"Temperature fluctuations are common on abandoned ships," Lucia offered. "It is nothing unusual."

The team continued, the silence broken only by their footsteps and the occasional distant clang of metal. Suddenly, they heard a chilling whisper, "Get out."

Freya's eyes widened. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Lance asked, his voice tinged with concern.

"Nothing," Freya shook her head. "Must've been the wind."

They proceeded to the main mining chamber, where massive drills and excavation equipment stood like ancient relics. Lucia began to inspect the machinery, while Lance and Freya looked around.

Meanwhile, Greyson and Fabian reached the generator room. "I'll get this up and running in no time," Greyson said, his confidence masking his unease.

As he worked, Fabian felt a presence behind him. Turning around, he saw nothing but the darkness. "Greyson, is someone else here?"