Wendigo

Deep within the dense, ancient forest of an isolated part of rural America, three friends found themselves on a weekend road trip to unwind and escape their mundane urban lives

Deep within the dense, ancient forest of an isolated part of rural America, three friends found themselves on a weekend road trip to unwind and escape their mundane urban lives. Tom, a rugged outdoorsman with a calm disposition, was behind the wheel of his prized 1967 Chevrolet Impala. He was the natural leader of the group, and his steady hand steered the three friends on their journey through the winding, unfamiliar backroads. Beside him sat Michelle, his kind-hearted and adventurous girlfriend of several years. She couldn’t wait for the cherished camping spot Tom had promised to delight them. Finally, there was Steve—the wild card of the trio. Perched in the backseat, his impulsive energy oozed into the carefree atmosphere that surrounded them.

The day began with excitement and laughter as they stocked up on snacks, gasoline, and camping supplies at a small town near the forest. As they journeyed deeper into the heart of their tree-enshrouded destination, the sun's rays pierced the thicket overhead, indicating late afternoon. Time seemed to lose its essence in this verdant realm, and spirits began to wane.

"Hey, Tom," Michelle whined, glancing back and forth between her phone and the dashboard clock. "We've been driving for hours. Can't you give us an idea of how much longer we have? My phone isn't getting any signal, and it's starting to get dark."

Tom’s confident grin offered little comfort as he replied, "Trust me, babe, we're almost there."

His words echoed in Steve's mind from an hour prior, prompting him to chime in, "Let's hope so, man...we're running on fumes."

Not long after, any semblance of confidence vanished as a loud hissing noise erupted from the car’s engine, followed by smoke billowing from beneath the hood. The Impala groaned in protest before rolling to a jarring halt. Tom’s heart sank as he realized the severity of the situation. Their car was stranded in the middle of an unforgiving forest, without any phone signal or nearby support.

Unease began to fester as the trio assessed their options. The shadows from the encroaching tree limbs deepened, and the temperature steadily dropped. Silent, but visible communication between the friends fueled a collective decision to abandon their broken-down car and search for shelter before nightfall.

Donning their rain ponchos as the first droplets of a looming storm began to fall, they debated their next move in a clearing off the path. Tom finally proposed that Steve, the fastest of the group, should head back to civilization for help. Though Steve wasn't thrilled with the idea of leaving his friends, he understood the logic behind Tom's suggestion.

Hugging both of his friends, Steve assured them that he would return with help as quickly as possible. With a final exchange of nervous glances, Tom and Michelle began constructing a makeshift shelter beneath a fallen tree, while Steve set off on an uncertain journey back to the world they had temporarily left behind.

In the cold darkness of the forest, Tom and Michelle clung to each other as they waited, ears straining for any sign of their friend's return. Hours passed, and their anxiety grew by the minute, the silence interrupted only by the pattering of rain.

A guttural howl pierced the quietude of the night—a bone-chilling, demonic cry that sent shivers down their spines. It was not long before the agonized scream of Steve, their courageous friend, sliced through the howling wind. They knew he was being ripped away from them in the most brutal way possible.

Frenzied worry trumped common sense as Tom and Michelle bolted from their hiding place. Guided only by the dim glow of their flashlight, they stumbled through the tangled forest in desperate search for Steve. Their breath fogged as the air grew colder with every frantic step.

Soon, they stumbled upon a scene of pure terror. A blood-splattered space of churned earth, torn clothes, and gore indicated something inhuman had claimed Steve. Panic and dread washed over Tom and Michelle as they struggled to come to terms with the unspeakable violence they had a front-row seat to. The forest closed in around them as they realized they were not alone.

From the shadows of the trees, they watched a monstrous figure lurch into view. The wretched creature, its emaciated form twisted with jagged bones and antlers, seemed to consume the dying light around it. The wind whispered a name, carried on the breath of the darkest nightmares— Wendigo.

Horrified, Tom grabbed Michelle's hand, and they sprinted in desperation through the unforgiving wilderness toward their car. The Wendigo pursued them eagerly, sensing their fear as it closed in for the kill.

In an awful moment, the Wendigo's claw emerged from the darkness, sinking into Michelle's arm and tearing free a sickening chunk of her tender flesh. Blood pooled from the wound, staining the forest floor, as her scream echoed among the trees.

Rage and determination flared within Tom. He couldn't let this creature take his friends away from him—even one as inexplicable as this horrifying monster. In a last attempt to seek safety, Tom threw a heavy branch at the Wendigo, striking its grotesque head with an unyielding force. The creature reeled from the blow, releasing its grip long enough for Tom to grab Michelle and sprint like mad back to the car.

Bruised, battered, and soaked in fear and blood, Tom and Michelle scrambled into the Impala as the Wendigo recovered in their wake. Summoning their final ounce of hope, Tom turned the key in the ignition, and with a glorious roar, the engine came to life. He slammed the gas pedal to the floor, and they barreled through the darkness, leaving the shrieking Wendigo far behind.

Their lives would never be the same after that harrowing night. They survived the nightmare, but the loss of Steve and the horror of the Wendigo would follow them forever. Overcome with despair, but bonded by their shared experience, they would learn to continue. As they faded away into the unknown, an ominous whisper filled their ears, a chilling reminder of the terror lurking at the edge of humanity's grasp—at the edge of the deep wilderness forest.

 As they faded away into the unknown, an ominous whisper filled their ears, a chilling reminder of the terror lurking at the edge of humanity's grasp—at the edge of the deep wilderness forest