5. unchanging

———"So we never saw the start of each other's lives

———"So we never saw the start of each other's lives."

::
AS TIME passed further, a blur of kaleidoscopic moments and memories continued to form between both you and Bachira Meguru.

And before you knew it, you and Bachira found your ways to the first year of high school.

— "I'm surprised I even made it this far, I suck at school..." The blond-tipped boy muttered, as he stood from beside you. You were both currently at your new high school, looking for your class which you shared together.

You had suddenly recalled one time when you were both studying together for high school entrance exams, and Bachira still somehow pronounced the word "Friday" as "Fly-Day".

No matter how much you had corrected him, Bachira still couldn't get it right.

— "I mean, at least you got in because of soccer. I was worried we wouldn't end up here together!" You exclaimed back at him.

When you were both picking your high school, you had both chosen a school that had a balanced funding on both athletic programs and music programs.

Luckily, the current school you both were about to attend seemed accommodating to your needs.

—————

SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH, not much has changed in high school so far. You and Bachira continued your daily shenanigans, a routine of doing your each respective extracurriculars, and just simply hanging out with each other.

Neither of you were complaining though, as you both found comfort within times like these.

Perhaps it was also because of this comfort, this sense of seemingly unchanging state of time that made you keep your true feelings for Bachira Meguru to yourself.

"Besides, there's no rush anyway. It's not like I want to change anything about what we have now." You affirmed to yourself.

But deep down, you knew nothing could last forever. Time will go on, waiting for no one.

And along with time, the natural flow of consecutive events will go by swiftly right before your very own eyes.

This was why, the time shared between you and Bachira, were moments you cherished within the depths of your heart.

——————

ONE PARTICULAR day, it was raining quite heavily. You and Bachira were inside a warm coffee shop studying for your upcoming assessments.

There was soft bossa nova playing in the background, the volume being not too loud to be distracting, yet not too quiet to be completely inaudible.

The music blending with the smell of coffee and chocolate created a perfect harmony for the studying atmosphere. Surprisingly, Bachira was quite productive as he was more focused on his tasks than usual.

You looked up at him slightly, observing his mannerisms as he wrote in his notebook. You noticed he always seemed to wear a small grin passively, and the corner of his tongue sticking out slightly from his focused mode.

It seemed he had realized you were staring at him for a little while, as Bachira looked up from his work and stared back at you.

His golden eyes that locked on to yours.

You looked away flustered, your cheeks dusted a subtle shade of pink. Bachira merely let out a small chuckle.

— "Caught ya looking at me." He teased you, which earned him a small scoff from you.

After you both finished studying, you and Bachira boarded on a bus together to get to your respective homes.

Inside the bus, it was quite empty. The faint, dim, blue-toned light decorated the interior. The two of you sat down in a double seat, right next to each other. You took the window seat, Bachira taking the aisle.

Bachira took out his phone, which had his earphones/earbuds plugged into it. He offered you one intending to listen to music together, in which you gratefully accepted.

The boy shuffled your shared playlist, which contained a combination of both of your favourite genres of music, artists and songs.

As the soft lyrics played in your head, you also listened to the sound of delicate raindrops hitting against the window on your side at a constant velocity. You watched the lights from the city streets reflect into the dancing droplets of water. Bachira glanced at you, amused at your fascination of the rain against the bus window.

Soon enough, you felt your eyes become droopier and droopier, and your eyelids finally fell as you succumbed to your slumber. Your body falling into a state of unconscious, drifting away. Your head swayed back and forth with each movement the bus made.

Bachira noticed this, and he gently placed to ur head on his shoulder, letting you rest peacefully. He studied your face, looking so peaceful. The boy couldn't help but smile at you.

The boy felt his heart going fast, but in a steady rhythm, as if it was dancing in a waltz.

He did not want to be delusional, but Bachira was sure, right then and there, that you were meant to be with him in that moment.

That moment, Bachira wanted it to last forevermore.

For eternity, an infinite amount of time, unchanging.

—————