Chapter 19

The two cats' eyes grew large as the doors opened

     The two cats' eyes grew large as the doors opened. Roman's dining room was lined with rich mahogany wood and red velvet decorative curtains. Small works of art hung on the wall. Some were created by animal artists, but others were clearly stolen from human collections. The light dazzled from above, as candles burned on an ornate golden chandelier hanging from the ceiling. A small band of hamsters were playing classical sonatas on their instruments. After having spent so much time around rodents, Akhi was able to recognize the tune as that of the famous mouse composer, Theodisclus. In the center of the room was a long wooden dining table with a fruit filled cornucopia arranged in the middle. Sitting at the far end was a robed brown rat, inhaling from a gold laden hookah pipe. The hookah was resting on a silver tray being held by a perfectly docile squirrel.

Akhi stepped into the room, followed by the two skunk guards who sealed the doors behind them. Once he was closer, Akhi noticed the 'missing cat' poster resting flat on the table in front of the brown rat. It was the photograph of him being embraced by baby Noah in the living room of his family's home. That picture felt like it was taken a lifetime ago. Even upside down, he could read the human symbols 'Please return to 2232 St. James Street' on the poster. He took a deep breath.

"Lord Roman of the Italian Market," one of the skunks announced, "Allow me to present Akhi of Rittenhouse."

"Please, sit," the old brown rat held out a calloused, clawed hand towards the other end of the lengthy table. Akhi silently obeyed Roman and sat in the cushioned chair.

"Care for lunch, my boy?"

Before Akhi could indicate one way or another, Roman laid his hookah nozzle down and signaled to a waiting servant.

"We'll both have squab," The rat ordered.

Immediately, the hamster servant sprung into action, marching behind a curtain at the other end of the room to what Akhi could only assume was the kitchen. Roman turned his attention back to his guest.

"Although we have never formally met, I hear that you are one of my Legion's finest lookouts."

"Thank you... sir? I'm not sure what I am supposed to call you..." Akhi said shakily.

Roman smiled as he picked up the nozzle of the hookah and inhaled deeply. Smoky rings emerged from his mouth. "There is no need to fear me," he chuckled. "We are all part of the same Legion. You can refer to me as your lord. That is the title that was bestowed upon me by the Pharaoh."

The powerfully dangerous rat was being too friendly, Akhi felt.

Roman caught Akhi glancing at the 'missing cat' poster laying on the table.

"Us rats," the rodent  began. "We are no one's pets. We're not like house cats or dogs. Humans don't want us. Birds and ferals hunt us for food and sport. Traps are laid out when we become too numerous. Our bodies are used for experiments in human laboratories."