14

Lori is sitting in the doorway of the R.V. waiting on Rick. She dozes a bit. Shane walks up sits on his heels to talk "I need you to help talk some sense into Rick" Shane said Lori gets up to walk away "Look the C.D.C. thing, Lori, it's a mistake" Shane said Lori doesn't look convinced "So you're backing him?" Shane asked "What else would I do? He's my husband" Lori asked "Look, it may be time for you to play the dutiful wife, but you can't tell me that fixing your marriage is worth putting people's lives at risk" Shane said "I think folks around here can make up their minds without bringing my marriage into it. It's a habit you need to break" Lori said "I guess I'll just add it to the list of habits that I'm breaking, whether I like it or not" Shane said Rick comes out the door "What habits?" Rick asked "Just talking about my need for a plan, man. So what is it? Are we leaving or not? Maybe y'all just want to stay here. We could hang some more tin cans" Shane said "We can't stay here. We both know that" Rick said "I was just telling Shane I think we should trust your gut" Lori said Rick looks at Lori, uncertain. She returns his gaze steadily. Shane collects himself "Let's go do our sweep" Shane said Rick and Shane head out, Dale follows them.

Out in the woods Rick is in the lead, Shane a few feet behind him "Tell you what, man. These people, man, they're not convinced. You know? You head to the C.D.C., you might be on your own. You gotta really consider whether you want to put Lori and Masie along with Carl in that kind of spot" Shane said "I gotta do what's best for my family" Rick said "Best for your family? What's that? Exposing them to all kinds of risks?" Shane asked "As opposed to what? Crossing a hundred miles of hostile territory? If we're looking for a lifeline, I say swim toward the closest ship, not further out to sea. Why can't you back me up?" Rick asked "Look, I want to. It's just... I don't see it" Shane said "Ah, if it was your family you'd feel differently" Rick asked Shane stops. Rick turns around and looks at him. Shane walks angrily toward Rick "What did you say to me? I kept 'em safe, man. I looked after them like they were my own. That's what I did" Shane said "Shane, I didn't mean it that way" Rick said "Well, how'd you mean it? Go on, man. How'd you mean it?" Shane asked "You're misinterpreting me, man" Rick said "All right" Shane said "You're just hearing it wrong" Rick said "Yeah?" Shane asked "Look, you know—you know I can never repay that debt, okay?" Rick asked, they heard branches snap.

Rick nods to Shane as he moves forward into the forest. Shane heads off to Rick's left. Rick walks down into the forest and looks for anything unusual in the forest. Shane, up on a rise, brings his gun around until he gets Rick in his sights. Breathing deeply Shane keeps the rifle and his intent on Rick. Taking a deep breath he suddenly breaks off and looks over to see Dale staring at him wide eyed "Jesus" Dale said "I know. Gonna have to start wearing reflective vests out here" Shane laughed, Shane makes light of it but he can see that Dale isn't convinced "Seriously? Come on, man" Shane said, Shane puts his ball cap on and acts as if nothing's happened "Come on, man. Let's go. Nothing out here" Shane said to Dale, Dale follows Shane intently with his eyes.

In the camp, Andrea is asleep in a chair. Lori is sharpening a stick and Masie, Carl and Sophia are collecting rocks. Rick Shane and Dale walk into the camp where people are gathered "I've been, uh—I've been thinking about Rick's plan. Now look, there are no—there are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that. I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts" Shane said Lori looks at Shane with suspicion "I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning. Okay?" Shane asked.

Sunrise the next morning and Rick is up on the hilltop. Atlanta is in the distance as he talks to Morgan on the walkie-talkie "We're moving out, leaving the quarry. If you heard me yesterday, you may be coming here. If you are, we'll be gone by the time you arrive. I'm leaving a note and map behind for you taped to a red car so you can follow our trail. We're heading to the C.D.C. If there's anything left, it's got to be there, don't you think? Morgan... I hope you were right about that place. I need you to be" Rick said.