15

Shane opens the door to Rick's room and looks out to see a group of men in military gear are running past him and up the hallway "Hey hey. Whoa whoa whoa whoa" Shane said, Shane tries to get anyone's attention but they keep running past. He grabs a nurse by the arm "Ma'am. Ma'am, please. Please, can you help me?" Shane asked "No No!" The nurse said she breaks free and runs along with the others. Shane looks back the way they came "Check them all. Check them all" The man said Shane runs down the hall where all the people had just run just as he grabs a gurney he looks down around the corner and he sees men in full camouflage gear with gas masks shooting doctors and nurses.

After they all have been shot one of the soldiers puts a bullet in each person's head. Behind one of the soldiers a double door opens. A walker comes through and grabs him. Startled, he starts firing off rounds into the ceiling. More walkers come through and the group of soldiers is overwhelmed. Shane grabs the gurney and runs back to Rick's room Shane leaves the gurney outside and goes into the room where Rick lays lifelessly "Okay. I'm gonna get you out of here, bud" Shane tries but can't quite pick Rick up Shane looks at the monitor with Rick's vitals "Okay. Okay" Shane squats down on the far side of Rick's bed. He looks at the monitor and back at Rick "What do I do?" Shane ducks down. A soldier in riot gear looks into the room. He doesn't see Shane and he hesitates when he sees Rick lying lifeless in the bed. Behind him comes more of his troop.

"Come on, Corporal, move out!" The man said the soldier backed out the door and followed the command "Listen to me. If you're gonna wake up, I need you to do it now. Okay? Now. Please, man, you just show me a sign, anything. Please Rick" Shane said "The place is coming down! Fall back! All units fall back" The soldier said Shane puts his head to Rick's chest but cannot hear any sounds "I'm...I'm okay" Shane said crying Shane goes out the door, his gun out and ready The soldiers have passed Rick's room but they are continuing to shoot everyone they see.

Shane looks behind him and sees walkers coming up the hallway toward him. Gunfire ahead of him, walkers behind him, Shane opens the door to Rick's room. Rick is still lying there as if he were dead. Shane points his gun at the walkers but doesn't fire. He covers his mouth with a towel, pulls the door closed and pushes the gurney up against Rick's door. He backs away from the walkers, pointing but not shooting his gun, turns and runs.

The group is just outside the C.D.C. still standing in the light from the open doorway "Daryl, you cover the back" Shane said "Hello? Hello" Rick said "Close those doors. Watch for walkers" Dale said the group enters and looks around at the lobby. It's completely empty. "Hello?" Rick asked Jenner, standing in a doorway, a rifle in his hands "Anybody infected?" Jenner asked "One of our group was. He didn't make it" Rick said "Why are you here? What do you want?" Jenner asked "A chance" Rick said "That's asking an awful lot these days" Jenner said "I know" Rick said Jenner looks at every one "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission" he said "We can do that" Rick said Jenner lowered his weapon "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes it stays closed" Jenner said.

They all run through the doors and follow Jenner into an elevator "VI, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here" Jenner said "Rick Grimes" He puts his hand out for Jenner to shake. Jenner looks away "Dr. Edwin Jenner" Jenner said "Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asked "There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough. Except you two, I'll have to keep my eye on you guys" Jenner said towards Masie and Carl, Masie and Carl smiled back at the doctor Jenner laughed.

When he looks away the smile on his face dies. Out of the elevator Jenner leads them down a hallway "Are we underground?" Masie asked "Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner asked "A little" Masie replied "Try not to think about it" Jenner said. They enter the large darkened space Jenner had been in before "VI, bring up the lights in the big room" Jenner said "Welcome to Zone 5" He said towards the group "Where is everybody? The other doctors, the staff?" Rick asked "I'm it. It's just me here" Jenner said "What about the person you were speaking with? VI?" Lori asked "VI, say hello to our guests. Tell them... Welcome" Jenner said "Hello, guests. Welcome" The computer said "I'm all that's left. I'm sorry" Jenner said