Chapter Three

Dawn broke. Rainpaw awoke, keen for her first day. She wasn't keen on training with Duckstep, but a training day was a training day. However, she came out, and all was quiet. Songbird was bright and early, out in the clearing, but she didn't take notice of Rainpaw. Silkypaw's, Glazepaw's and Mountainpaw's mentors, Lilypool, Amberfire and Oakbark, were there too, but Duckstep was nowhere to be seen.

Lilypool regarded Rainpaw kindly and came over. "Are you waiting for Duckstep?" she asked softly.

Rainpaw shrugged, not really caring. She could always tag along with one of the other apprentices. Silkypaw or Mountainpaw, maybe. She was not keen on following Glazepaw.

Just then, yawning, Duckstep came out of the warriors' den. He noticed Rainpaw and gave a tiny grin.

"I remember your mother," he said with a yawn. "She led me around the territory. Are you about to do the same?"

"I didn't grow up here," Rainpaw told him quietly, the first sentence she'd said to anyone since entering camp.

Duckstep's eyes widened. "Oh, right. But you strut around like you own the place!"

I do not, Rainpaw thought, but she did not say it out loud. She didn't want to offend Duckstep, even though it might well be quite satisfying. Duckstep continued yawning as he attempted to lead Rainpaw around the territory. She followed him silently, meekly. He led her past a huge banyan tree and had to take her back on the way back to remind her that it was the Great Banyan. Rainpaw passed Glazepaw, who was hunting, and Glazepaw stuck her tongue out at Rainpaw.

"You got a shoddy mentor there!" Glazepaw laughed.

I really do. For once, you're right, Glazepaw, Rainpaw thought mutely.

"Didja want to do some hunting?" Duckstep asked.

Rainpaw rolled her eyes but nodded.

"So quiet!" Duckstep teased. "Silverdusk was yelling at me and scolding me and whatnot! But you, more likeable."

"You're about as likeable as a duck," Rainpaw spat, then, when he seemed too dumb to understand, she added, "I hate ducks."

"Oh! You got her snark," Duckstep meowed.

Rainpaw rolled her eyes. She almost demanded if they were hunting, but three sentences to Duckstep was enough for one day. Duckstep showed her the crouch anyway. It looked awfully odd.

Rosestream, a rogue recruit, passed by, and she gawked at Duckstep. "What are you doing?" Rosestream demanded. "That isn't the hunter's crouch! This is," she added, showing Rainpaw a crouch that looked like it made more sense for catching proper prey. Duckstep could probably catch a twig with his crouch.

Rainpaw smiled in thanks to Rosestream. The rosy she-cat grinned in response.

"Rainpaw!" Duckstep called. "Come on, do it!"

Rainpaw did it.

"Not like that," Duckstep said. "Stick your butt up a bit more."

"You mean put it down a little," Rosestream meowed, giving Duckstep a weird look. "Your crouch is wrong, Duckstep. I don't know why Icestar gave you an apprentice."

"Rosestream, that's insulting," Duckstep growled. "What do you think she would've done, given Rainpaw to a rogue?"

Rosestream stiffened. "I am not a rogue."