Chapter Nine

Raindrop felt dizzy. Riverflame had said she was distracting, and somehow, the prospect of being distracting delighted her. But one thing he'd said, it made her feel sad. He didn't want to be distracted by her. He wanted her to go, so he could revert to who he'd been.

Did Raindrop want to revert to who she'd been, too? Her old personality? The cat who barely talked, who only nodded and talked to her parents and family? The dead family? Her old personality would mean she wouldn't talk to anyone anymore. How was that right? Still, Raindrop didn't really care. For one night, she could enjoy the fact that he'd been mildly distracted by her. She didn't need to think about the fact that he'd considered her a bad distraction. But finally, the truth hit her and Raindrop sighed, rolling her eyes. She was annoyed with herself for being so dumb. But she jumped off the hill as if nothing was wrong and entered the warriors' den.

Riverflame hadn't moved his nest, and she widened her eyes in suspicion. Raindrop had expected him to move away from her, lest he get distracted again. She sighed. It wasn't like a warmth next to her wasn't comforting, but if he himself was uncomfortable... well, then, she'd have to stop focusing on love and be the best warrior she could be. Hadn't that been what her mother had done? She'd only found a mate in her second lifetime. That was something Raindrop probably would never live through, and yet something that sounded thrilling. A second lifetime. A new family and another lease of life.

The most important part was the new family. Raindrop felt so empty without her mother and father and... and Lightningpaw. Lightningstreak.

Lightningstreak, the wind seemed to whisper, and Raindrop nodded. Her sister was a fighter and a warrior. There was no way she was going to StarClan as Lightningpaw.

"Lightningstreak it is," Raindrop whispered to the wind, and it rustled and swirled away, as if carrying Raindrop's message to StarClan.

To Lightningstreak.

Great StarClan, Raindrop missed her sister so badly. She needed someone to talk to, to confide in. She'd barely begun her friendship with Streamflow before it had ended. And Skyshine was too old. She looked fresh out of apprenticeship, but Raindrop had found out at the gathering from eavesdropping on a conversation that Skyshine was at least fifteen moons old.

That was about five moons older than Raindrop at that point. They also apparently trained apprentices in WaveClan for six moons – who did that anymore? If the apprentice was good enough, four moons was great. Why would they need to train an extra two long moons? Raindrop had seen the little WaveClan kits. They were Honeydrop's litter, the father being Scarmark – Briarkit, Blossomkit and Bunnykit, three she-cats in one litter. They all seemed fine being apprentices for six moons, while the SeasonClan kits would grow restless. Oakkit, Barkkit and Graykit alone were terrors.

Raindrop hoped to mentor one of those little kitties, and thus she'd watched them carefully. It was almost time already, maybe a day or two away from their apprentice ceremonies. Raindrop had seen other warriors with their eyes out for the kits. Shy Briarkit, who could be extroverted at times. Bubbly and bright Bunnykit who always seemed to be bouncing. And completely introverted Blossomkit. She was exactly like Raindrop had been, and Raindrop imagined they'd be a good match. Unfortunately, Raindrop knew the three warriors with their eyes out for the kits – Streamflow, Waveshine and Tulipnose. Naturally, the three WaveClan-born warriors were the ideal mentors for the three kits.

"Streamflow! Tulipnose! Waveshine! Raindrop! Can I see you in my den now?" Oceanstar called.

Raindrop frowned. There were only three kits, right? Not four? She entered Oceanstar's den still wearing that frown. Oceanstar purred at the sight.