8

"When I decided to stay in LA, you felt like you didn't get a say, right? That I took control of it."

The Sport nodded. "I guess."

"So I'm giving the control back to you. I'm giving you a say," Allison told him, looking him dead in the eye again. "Do you wanna break up?"

For what felt like an age, Andrew simply stared at Allison, completely caught off guard.

Uncomfortable, she eventually averted her eyes.

"Do you?" he asked, after what felt like a lifetime.

"No," she said shortly, glancing back up at him momentarily. "But... I don't want you to end up resenting me... I don't want us to turn into those people, Andy. I told you that back at high school... in the library. I don't... I don't wanna be the reason your heart dies."

"Then don't do this," he said.

She glanced at him, seemingly a little taken aback.

"Don't," he repeated, softer this time.

"Don't you get it? I'm giving you a free ride," Allison snapped, fully aware of the unnecessary defence mechanisms that were kicking in, but powerless to stop them. "You can walk away and you won't even need to feel like a dick. You can even tell them I dumped you, if it makes it easier."

"What is wrong with you?" Andy asked, surprised.

She shook her head, biting back a bitter smile. "No, I guess not. Wouldn't wanna hurt your image, right Sporto? Tell them you dumped me, that you found someone better at college."

"Ally..." he began, though it was evident he didn't know how to respond any more.

With that, Allison reached inside of her bag and pulled something out, thrusting it at him.

"Here."

Andrew frowned, recognising the item immediately. The patch she had taken from his jacket following that Saturday detention.

He didn't take it immediately, instead simply staring at it.

And then, finally, he snatched it from her hand and tossed it overboard, into the sea.

Allison's mouth dropped open.

"I worked hard for that patch, you know? Real hard, all of junior year. And look – just like that, tossed it all away," he told her. "You know what else I worked hard at? Us. But looks like you're willin' to throw all that away too."

"It's not the same," Allison said, quietly.

"No, it's worse!" he cried. "It's worse that you would sit here and say that like it meant nothing to you!"

"That's not–"

"–Don't say that's not what you're doin' Ally. Jesus."

"I don't know what you want from me," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Sighing, Andy stood up and leaned over the railings.

"I just want you to be honest with me. If you don't wanna be with me anymore then I'd rather you just come out and say it," he told her.

"That's not what it is. I just... I thought that's maybe what you wanted..." she began.

"No, Ally. What I wanted was for you to give me a say in what I did when your plans changed!" he cried. "Instead you just shut down on me! Told me what you were doin' and that was that!"