Chapter 3: Dust Chronicles

The child continued riding on Notches' back as he followed the ghost through the place, passing by statues and railroads. Steam locomotives were placed randomly in the area the child noticed, some with statues inside the coaches, just like the previous one she encountered.

There were even diesels, electrics, and many others scattered around this place called 'Sodor' as Notches passed everything, looking like everything was frozen. The child sits up a little to look at the surroundings as they head towards what looks like a mountain, and Notches feels his fur tugging a little.

"Is something wrong back there?" Notches asked, looking over at the child with a somewhat confused expression. The child perked as she snapped out of her thoughts, glancing over at Notches as she looked around out of curiosity.

"No, nothing is wrong," the child answered with a gentle shake of her head, releasing some clumps of his fur to be polite. "I'm just looking at my surroundings." She paused a little as she looked at the vehicles decorating the location, adding, "There are a lot of vehicles around Sodor."

"Mhh." Notches nodded as he followed the ghost, which had transformed into an orb floating ahead of him, looking at a vehicle with a somewhat somber expression. "Sodor is famous for its vehicles."

"Really?" the child asked, turning towards Notches with a somewhat confused expression, slowly becoming comfortable with the surroundings. Seeing all these vehicles seemed to become common, although she was curious about the different performance models.

"Yes." Notches nodded, pausing a little to gingerly step over some items on the ground and even to get around some rocks. "They all work on Sodor to help many people and even take visitors from different countries to travel."

The child stayed silent after Notches explained, looking thoughtful about what he said before he stopped when he entered a vast forest filled with animal statues and then stopped at the edge of the mountain.

The child hopped off Notches' shoulders and took off her necklace, transforming back into her human self as she scooped him up into her arms, allowing him to climb into her sweater's hood. The ghost transformed into their human form and pointed at a tree trunk near the mountain before disappearing into thin air.

"That was weird." Notches frowned, cocking his head to the side as his tail flicked. She walked up to the tree trunk as Notches hopped off her shoulder and felt around it curiously with her hands, feeling something in front of her that was a little loose.

"What do you feel?" Notches asked, walking up next to her. The child said nothing as she continued to feel around with her fingertips, feeling something was there, but it was clearly hidden.

"I feel a door," the child responded. She pushed on the log and heard a click before a door opened when she moved her hands back, revealing the inside.

"A secret compartment!" Notches perked, the door opened wider, and he took a couple sniffs, smelling the hint of must lingering from within before stepping away. "A clever way of hiding things in the middle of nowhere."