The True Power Of Despair

These antagonistic voices would have finally ceased.

"Try harder!"

"Don't you want her back?"

"Are you even worthy?"

The world came back only in bits and pieces after drifting in what was like a void-like space. Even if he could sense the toll taken for his granted wish like an eerie premonition, it wouldn't matter because those nights of guilt and uncertainty could finally cease. Ultimately Gabriel never worried about the details of Emilie's reappearance, because linking her to the villain that plagued the city wasn't immediately guaranteed. Speculations or theories could be disproved and dismissed and any suspicions that posed a threat to the Agreste's stability could be deftly handled, due to the power they possessed.

Such musings were irrelevant now. Even if he managed to cover up incriminating secrets, the city and the world knew of his broken household.

Gabriel knew Parisians hated him only after a few attacks. But having a glimpse of the dark recesses of their minds and hearts, only allowed to see due to the pettiest provocations caused by outside forces, did not care. How many of them would not do the same? If the answer to his problems were right in front of him so why should he not reach?

And reach, he did. Now, look at what that wrought.

Emilie's outrage made him regret not quitting while he was ahead. Especially after that Style Queen incident, but such rancour from the Bourgeois girl sent his heart racing and beating with regained confidence.

Shadow Moth scoffed to himself, he hadn't even thought about his new villain transformation. It was just a loose amalgamation of Hawkmoth's and Mayura's characteristics, a transformation he had to make after the whole debacle. His outburst had caused an unnecessary contention, even if fighting could not have been completely avoided given the circumstances, he should have at least appeared a bit more amicable. It wasn't fair to them, one of the reasons why he lashed out at Ladybug was for once she could not fix his mess.

This time is a new opportunity though, it would be poetic, a perfect absolution.

"Ladybug and Cat Noir!" Shadow Moth called out commencing his plan, "Come out and give me your miraculous so-called heroes of Paris or I will have Destroyer smite your precious heroes out of existence." If this was business as usual Gabriel would have said this with utter contempt, each nefarious act carried out with wry amusement, each akuma blackening his heart.

He just needed to attract the heroes, Ladybug and Cat Noir would not resist in aiding their allies, it is the only way to fix things. He doesn't know how else.

"Hawkmoth?" His barrage of threats were interrupted. Her voice was as surreal as the day as her voice rang in his ear, urging him to extract his sorrows into the thing that would save him.

"How are you here?" Shadow Moth responded in shock, "I took the peacock miraculous, you shouldn't be here Mayura."

"Listen to me, I'm from another timeline, something terrible happens to you."

Oh so that was it, however, she got here, this information is proof his plan has a chance. There was no reason for Mayura's intervention, though his partner did not seem to express that sentiment. This Nathalie did not even try to hide that she was distraught when he basically told her why his mission couldn't end yet.

It wasn't a flare-up pain in his body again, but the waning adrenaline from fighting did him no favours. His current afflictions were nothing physical. Shadow Moth started breathing heavily and trembled, "I didn't want this, I didn't mean for this to happen."

"Whatever happened we can fix it."

"Yes y-you're right, I will make another wish and put myself in the place of Emilie." Gabriel thought Nathalie would surely be on board with his plan now, but she was still adamant.

"You cannot convince me otherwise it's for the best." Shadow Moth turned his back on her which made him see the kids getting freed. He sensed the akuma's defeat.

Shadow Moth head throbbed.

Mayura spoke.

"What?" He asked hoping he misheard.

"I love you, whatever happened we can fix it, please don't do this." At any other time Gabriel would have been angry or even affronted, but he was just stunned.

                                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gabriel never cared what the heroes thought, as far as he was concerned their outlook was shallow. He would never apologise for wanting his family in one piece or his wife well again. Monster, a title he took in stride and at one point pride. They were children idly playing hero dancing between the strips of black and white, oblivious or uncaring to the shades of grey in between, so unlike Nathalie who understood and saw potential in every one of his plans. With her, those pests could collapse under the face of his will.

Some would think the power of destruction was bestowed upon him. If it wasn't enough, he shattered the hopes of his biggest advocate.

"From the very first day, I knew that I'd do anything for you."

No, I won't allow it.

"I will always be here for you, we will succeed."

Yes we will. Yes I will.

But everything just collapsed and it failed.

But all is not lost, I have the power!

Everything has fallen apart even with it.

You're pathetic, you were already too weak to stop Emilie from using that miraculous. Too afraid to be firm and rock the boat.

I̶ d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ I̶ c̶a̶n̶ d̶o̶ t̶h̶i̶s̶ a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶

Don't be too weak to save Adrien. None of her sacrifices can be in vain.

T͛̚͝h̐́̽e̿͑̐ c͒̓͝o̾͑͘s̈́̾̕t͒͑̚ i͋̿̕s͆̾͌ ä́̀l͑͋̈́r̈́̓̓é͛͊a̾͊̈́d͛͝͝y̽͘͘ h̐̔̕i͆͝g͐̀̚h̿͘͠,͛͠ ÿ́͑̚o͛͛͐u̽̚͠ m͆͑͝a̓͌y͒͘͝ a͛͐͝s̀̾͘ w͑̈́̓è͑̓l͒l͊̒͛ k̓̽̚e͛̽͆e̾̚͠p̈́͌ o͐̾̀n͌͑ g͆̿́o̒͐̾i͊̾́n͆͐g͋̽͝.̾͘

None of them understand it now.

"Gabriel?" The use of his name snapped him back to full attention.

"Then, that's even more reason to let me do this."

"Then, I'm sorry my papillon."

Shadow Moth felt a sharp pain in his head before he could properly express confusion. The last thing he saw was a blurry Mayura standing over him.

I have failed.