Dark Hope: Chapter 8

"We can't do nothing," I pleaded again, trying ineffectually to block Michael's access to his locker. "Please, hear me out."

It had been three days since we'd learned the news of Maria's disappearance. Tabitha argued that there was nothing we could do that the police couldn't, and was busy devising a new strategy for completing our paper. But I was still focused on finding Maria.

Michael sighed. Gently, he picked me up by the shoulders and moved me aside.

Ignoring the flush I could feel forming on my skin under the thin tissue of my T-shirt-the flush that always came when he touched me-I pressed on as he slowly opened the door and started stacking his books on the shelf.

"She told me she was going to find her sister. You know that means she is somewhere out on the street. Or worse."

"I know, Hope. But we have no way of finding her."

"We can go look for her!" Tears welled in my eyes. I couldn't stand feeling so helpless.

Michael turned and tilted my chin in his hand. I closed my eyes, trying to blink away the tears, but one lonely drop managed to trickle down my cheek. He wiped it away, his rough, hot fingertip leaving its own trail.

"I already have one errant girl to look after," he said gruffly, his voice low. "How could I possibly take on another?"

His words stung. The last thing I wanted to be was a burden to him. My eyes flew open as I began to protest, but before I could say anything, we were interrupted.

"Trouble in paradise?"

We both swung our heads to find Lucas, dressed to leave, strolling down the locker bay. Usually, Michael's watchful eyes kept Lucas far away from me, but today he'd taken advantage of our distraction. My cheeks were still burning with shame and anger at Michael's words. I pushed him away, wiping my face against my sleeve, hoping Lucas hadn't seen me cry.

"Why is it that whenever I see you two, there always seems to be some drama?" Lucas purred smoothly, moving closer. "I have to say, Michael, things always seemed much better for Hope when you were away. Wouldn't you agree, Hope?"

I stared silently at him, willing him to shut up.

"Has he been bothering you when I'm not here, Hope?" Michael addressed his question to me, but his black look was meant only for Lucas. Anyone else would have withered under its intensity, but Lucas just laughed it off.

"We just had some fun, didn't we Hopie?" I winced to hear my family's pet name for me on his lips.

"What's this?" he asked. I followed his gaze down to where I still clutched my scrawled notes that detailed everything I knew about Maria and her disappearance. Swiftly, he snatched it from my hands.

"Interesting," he drawled, artfully dodging my attempt to grab the paper back as he flipped through the pages, reading my notes. "A missing person. And not just any person-a lost little girl."

He shot Michael a speculative look, twirling the papers around in his hands, almost taunting Michael. Michael hung back, on edge, but seeming to hesitate. I wondered why he wasn't helping me get my notes back. He seemed reluctant to touch Lucas at all.

Lucas trapped my notes between his hands, looking vaguely disappointed that his attempt to provoke Michael had failed.

"Sorry I can't help you on this one," he said coolly, never taking his eyes off of Michael as he handed me back my precious information. "I can tell it has upset you."

Confused by his kindness, I mumbled a hasty thank-you and reached out to take the papers. As I did, Lucas clasped his hand over mine and turned his attention to me. Unconsciously, I shrank away from him, my hand drifting in its nervousness to cover my neck.