~ seven ~

There's something about my father I haven't mentioned.

The week before he went missing, he says to JB, "I think I've found something, Bird. Your Uncle T's gonna come stay for a while. I might have to vanish for a bit."

So, he talks about vanishing, and he vanishes. He didn't say anything to me, and I guess I should feel a bit hurt about that. Maybe I do. I don't really know what to make of what I've been feeling lately. John B was always the favorite, but I never minded that much. I usually just did my own thing. Pope's parents were there for me more than Big John ever was.

Everyone, including me, says our dad was lost at sea, but my brother refuses to believe that.

"He's still out there," John B always insists to me when I try to bring it up, "I know it."

*:・゚✧.

I'm rudely awakened the next morning by the crowing of the rooster we keep outside. Everyone loves that thing. Hell, I love that thing. It's just so loud, so early in the morning.

The sun is streaming in through the window right into my face, and I go to hide my face back in my pillow. It's too early for this shit. I'm so tired I could swear I feel my pillow moving. Up. Down. Up. Down. Almost like it's breathing.

Oh.

I sit straight up in my bed, or at least try to, considering there's a certain someone's arm snaking around my waist.

JJ mumbles something under his breath in his sleep and subconsciously tugs my body back down. Right on top of him.

"JJ," I whisper-yell.

"Hm?"

I smack him lightly across his face.

He groans and swats at my hand, grumbling sleepily.

"Rise and shine, Blondie," I singsong.

JJ doesn't respond or open his eyes, he simply rolls over from his back onto his stomach. Unfortunately, that means he is right on top of me and let's just say he isn't the lightest.

"Excuse you!"

"Shut up, Harley," He grumbles.

"JJ, you're crushing me."

"You're okay," He insists, snuggling closer, his face nuzzled into the side of my neck.

"Um, no," I argue, "I am not."

I can feel him sigh onto my skin, but I don't get a response. His breaths eventually even out and I realize the dumbass actually fell asleep again. On top of me.

"Get off," I push him.

He picks his head up to look me straight in the eye.

"No."

"Maybank," I warn.

"No," He repeats kissing my cheek before returning his face to its original spot on the side of my neck.

"I'm hungry."

"Too bad."

"I have to pee," I try.

"Liar."

"I'm not joking, JJ."

No response. Just the feeling of steady breathing along my neck.