HELP

I sat in the police station, waiting for an update on my police report.

Instead of going home after leaving Xander's, I went to the hospital to report my assault.

They did a rape kit on me and took pictures of different parts of my body. Police took my statement at the hospital, and three weeks later, I still haven't heard anything.

"Cherri Harris?"

A detective came out, and I followed him into his office. He offered me a seat, and he pulled a file off his cluttered desk.

"I'm Detective Bryant. I'm the one in charge of this investigation."

His office smelled like cigars.

"The rape kit didn't give any DNA for Xander Petrov. But Eric Robinson came back as a positive match."

I was confused. "What?"

"You have no bruises or evidence of assault on your body or your genitals. It does show you had intercourse...How do you know Eric Robinson?"

"He's my boyfriend."

"When was the last time you had intercourse with him prior to Mr. Petrov?"

I felt my stomach turn. "Why does it matter?"

"He was the only DNA match, Ms. Harris."

"That can't be...Xander didn't wear a condom."

"How would you know if you were drugged?"

No one's gonna believe you, Cherri.

The detective leaned back with a smirk on his face.

"Listen, Eric gave a statement that you and him are no longer together because he caught you cheating with Mr. Petrov. He also said you two had intercourse that morning. That's why his DNA matched."

"You talked to him..."

"Of course. He was a suspect, and Mr. Petrov's story matches his. He confirmed that you and him slept together the same day after celebrating."

"It wasn't consensual..."

"Look, I know it's hard after a break-up. But getting the police involved isn't going to get your boyfriend back."

"This is bullshit. I was raped!"

The detective leaned forward with a look of evil. It sent shivers down my spine, and it let me know that he was on Xander's payroll.

"Ms. Harris, you're accusing a very powerful man. You should watch what you say, the wrong people may hear....just let it go."

My frustration took over me, and I walked out. This was like a nightmare that I was living and couldn't wake up.

***

Cherri stopped working at Bon Appetit and decided she wanted to move away. She knew Xander pulled some strings to keep his DNA from being taken in as evidence, and her hopes of getting justice were slim.

Kandy checked up on her, making sure she was okay. With no doubts, she believed Cherri and told her not to give up.

But Cherri was tired of being told no or ignored and just wanted to move on with her life.

It's been two months since she's been outside but had a follow-up doctor's appointment. She sat in the examining room, thinking of the different places she wanted to move to for a fresh start.

"Hello, Ms. Harris. How are you feeling?"

"Good."

"Well, all your tests came back negative....."